cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 19

Re: Incoming call turns handset display to bt logo then to synchronising handset data

@Cottie59 

The batteries are no good, as it seems a common issue with this phone.

You can prove this by temporarily swapping the batteries to ordinary alkaline ones, but do not put it on the charger base.

If the phone works with alkaline batteries, then it proves the rechargeable ones are no good, and need replacing.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 19

Re: Incoming call turns handset display to bt logo then to synchronising handset data

Thank you! I've just done as you suggested in our worst handset and it seems to be working! Fingers crossed for next call. I've requested 2 new handsets from BT. Would you say I still need them or should AAAs suffice? I must say, it makes it a lot easier not to have to rely on a plugged in base.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 19

You can get replacement AAA rechargeable batteries from plenty of places, and they are not expensive. There is no need for new handsets, as the batteries are likely to be no good, as it seems that they have been stored for too long.

You may find using normal AAA batteries would get expensive, as they would eventually go flat, but you could use them temporarily, but not while on the charging base, as they may overheat and leak everywhere.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 19

@Cottie59 

You need replacement rechargeable AAA as regular alkalines won't last long. Amazon do a Basics pack of a dozen for around a tenner. Ideally the handsets need to be regularly discharged to prevent a repeat.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 19

Thanks again. Can I just use the base as a stand, i.e. not plugged in? Or will that still fry the AAAs?

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 19

Please excuse my ignorance "regularly discharged"??

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 19

Don't keep them permanently on charge, let them discharge almost fully before recharging.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 19

@Cottie59wrote:

Please excuse my ignorance "regularly discharged"??

Poor quality batteries is only part of the story. A bigger part is the poor (possibly non-existent) regulation of charging. It appears that as long as the phones are sat in their bases, then charging continues. This eventually kills the battery's ability to hold charge.

It's hard to know the best strategy as far as leaving them off charge is concerned. The law of sod decrees that the very moment you need to take a very long call, will be the moment the phone dies 10 minutes into it! Maybe leaving them off the base overnight would be sufficient.

I have an intelligent charger that will fully discharge & recharge batteries to maintain them. But that's probably overkill just for this scenario. If you bought the Amazon set then you could rotate them, maybe using a torch or some other device to discharge regularly.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 19

Thank you very much for your responses. I've learnt a lot here, but yet again feel disappointed (and very old) with what passes for progress these days!

0 Ratings