cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 41

Emergency power question

OK so if there is a power cut in local area. The phones go dead no way of contacting any one on a house phone unless you have a battery back up 

Does the digital line still carry power like analogue lan did as if its city wide outage even the digital line will loss power unless on your end you have sufficient power back up to keep this running 

The whole point of the lan was an Emergency way of contact ether power outage, major flood. Natural disaster so that a layman or surviver could still connect to the line if in trouble and call for help

So can you explain how I could connect to the digital line it's self in an emergency to call for help

Am intrigued 🤔  

0 Ratings
40 REPLIES 40
Message 2 of 41

Re: Emergency power question

Short answer, no it doesn't.

If on fibre, you'll need a backup supply for the ONT and the Hub. 

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Digital-voice-and-power-cuts/m-p/2232633#M8...

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 41

Ah ok so I need to carry around a working hub an Ont and a generator or fully charged Battery supply some other small bits I won't mention as its only really for emergency services contacting or rescue

It should work any were there is a fibre cable ?

Rather than one small hand sized item and a bit of know how

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 41

why would you be carrying around a hub and an ONT in your home so you can make a phone call.  they stay in position and you get a UPS connected to ONT and hub which will then enable your portable DV phone to work

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 41

Hi Imjolly 

OK sinarero for you 

You have left home on an adventure top of Scotland middle of nowhere no signal on mobile of mobile is dead no power 

And you need help what do you do

with old lan line when you find one it was easy to connect to anywhere and call for help or was use full in other ways as it carries low power 

It was originally planed in the event of natural disasters peaple could still call for help or help you survive 

It did not require much to operate not go in to detail not sure if bt will allow me to tell how to make a phone call from anywere with just one item but if you know what to do it can still be used point to point to communicate also 

With fibre in a natural disaster and your house is wiped out of your neighborhoods you can find your mobile how do you call for help if you survive?

Lan phone would still work and help you survive 

God forbid nothing like that happens but we would be screwed no way of raising help or getting rescued 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 41

If you were in north of Scotland you got more chance your mobile will get a signal than you have of finding a working landline. Bear I mind in emergency your mobile will work on any network does not have to be your own

As far  Neighnourhood  disaster then your street cabinet would also be wiped out so landline would not work but your mobile probably would

These are all thoughts of a 'half empty glass' person looking for problems which may never happened

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 7 of 41

This must be one of the best wind up posts the forum has had for ages.

I have not had such a good laugh for ages. Well done please keep posting all the other "natural disasters" that Openreach have not factored into their decision to do away with land lines in a couple of years.

Other members must have some other scenarios they could add.

Message 8 of 41

I've got them all 

I even have some for single females in a house by them selfs or your other half over night and a burglar has cut the fire cable that open reach has put a small plastic box outside your house at knee level leaving the fiber cables exposed 

Telephone down and dont work some house alarms down that are not on sim cards it's the middle of the night it's dark and they can't find the mobile or left the mobile down stairs were the burglars are 

At lest the lan was in a better contained protected box or came in the house at high level and stayed at high level and was easier to have a plan b for

Well I am the one thinking about these things you have your heads in the sand unill it happens not mentioning the resent I told you so incident 

I will the one one safe and sound rebuilding the mess you will be the ones going we wish we thought of that now

And the recent disconnection of part the 999 service due to the upgrade  That was in your terms acceptable they could use mobile phones 

It took nearly a full day to get them reconnected to some sort of function that kind of worked 

Cheers 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 41

I'll give you three out of ten for that one. Your other one's were better but keep them coming. Try a bit harder and you are bound to get a ten eventually.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 41

Don't need a three as the female one actually happened I have pics on a call I attended but file to big to post on here I tried to show you how openreach fitted the fibre cable 

This is part of what I do for a living is crisis and disaster management for business and clients so genuinely interested on finding out the plan b as not every one has the money to throw at the problem

Also They say its more energy efficient than lan well yes it is as you shifted the power supply from bt/openreach to now the customers 

So from your side and your quote it is as the customer now pays for the power 

So why 2025 way not a slower rollout when the lan cables needs replaced and not a full and swift change over is this when the funding runs out 

Who is gaining from this it's not the customer 

We pay for the upgrade, pay for the power and the back up need to pay for a mobile phone as its the only other option, care lines also now have a monthly charge, alarm companies now put you on a monthly monitoring charge or a sim card you still need to pay for 

How does this improve the customers experience

I think I'm the one that can see right through the jargon  and it's cost cutting and more profitable way of doing it the rest is just an added bonus 

There is so many fundamental problems with this and what looks like no plan b if it goes pair shape 

I think it needs a rethink 

They say there is two types of people innovators and followers don't be a follower be an innovator  fix and solve issues and come up with the plan B don't dismiss the issues and become a follower

Come on BT you used to be better than is 

0 Ratings