I’m in the process of renovating yet another room in our dormer bungalow. Including complete re-plaster and redecoration.
I want to remove what I think is an unused and redundant phone socket. (There is another similar one in another room)
I don’t have a phone (we don’t use them) but I think I tried a phone in this one when I was trying to work out which was the master socket. (As it happens we couldn’t work it out and an engineer fitted another one for our broadband etc)
My question is can I just cut this and remove it?
Will it give me a shock?
Will it knock out the phone line and BB etc?
I’ll include some photos hope this will help.
Solved! Go to Solution.
You won't get a shock, it will only be 50v DC on the wires.
You really need to disconnect the wiring at the far end of the cable to avoid causing problems rather than just cutting the wires.
If the line is dead when I plug in a phone could I maybe just cut it then?
or is that still a no no?
If the line is dead, you can just cut it.
You really need to have an overview of your complete wiring to understand what is connected to what.
If there are no other cables except the incoming external cable connected to the master socket, then you should be ok.
Thanks. I’m fairly sure it’s dead.
Its why we needed an engineer to fit us a brand new line coming from outside: our broadband wouldn’t work on any of the many points in the property.
thanks for getting back to me 👍🏻