cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Requesting Battery Backup

I am in contact with my MP about the Digital Voice change over and advice from BT to ring 999 in the event of me needing non medical help.  This solution was offered by BT Customer Services in the scenario that I have a power cut (these are not infrequent as I live in a rural area) and have no phone service. I also have no mobile signal so the backup plan in not applicable.  My MP has asked if BT has offered a battery backup but so far this has not been offered as an option and I have not been able to decipher how to request such a device from the website.  Can anybody help point me in the right direction to request such equipment?  Any advice appreciated. 

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Requesting Battery Backup

If you are a vulnerable customer, BT will provide a battery backup system. If you don't meet the agreed requirements to be classed as vulnerable, you can buy a battery backup system (UPS) for under £100 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Thank you - who do I need to speak to/email to take this forward (i.e. find out/meet the vulnerable requirements)?
Message 4 of 13

Does your mobile not say emergency calls only if you have no signal as well? It should work too of course

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

@quarkrad wrote:
Thank you - who do I need to speak to/email to take this forward (i.e. find out/meet the vulnerable requirements)?

Customer services 150

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Yes I do have the emergency feature.  The issue is my wife is disabled and at times I cannot get from the car to home.  At these times I need a neighbour to help me physically get my wife to home.  I questioned BTs response to ring 999 as this is not a medical emergency, I just need help, but they insisted 999 was the full back plan when there is a power cut.  My MP agrees this is not a suitable plan.  So when I need to be with my wife I can call for help if a battery backup keeps the router active (I can call for help via my wifi calling because I have no mobile signal).  This is a more realistic plan than ring 999 for non medical help in our current environment.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

There seems always to be a 20 minute wait for 150 - is it possible to email BT for this request?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Hi @quarkrad and welcome back.

Thanks for posting about the battery back up. With the roll out of fibre I'm sure this will become a more common question. I'll take a look at this for you if you wish. I'll send you a private message now so you can get in touch.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

DavidM  There was no Reply button on your private message - so I sent you a new message with me details. Did you receive it?  Thank you.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Did you actually open the message by clicking on the title or did you just look at the preview?