cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Rotary Dial GPO Handset (converted via Rotatone) not working on Digital Voice

Go to solution

Hi I have a GPO Rotary Phone (missus adores it so no chance of changing it)  which has been converted to tone dial connected to the phone port of the SH2.  It receives incoming calls but after dialing 9 digits of an outgoing call an error "local numbers are no longer supported..." message is returned.  I have tried various numbers (0207 ... , 077..., 0800...) but nothing seems to work.  Am I missing a converter or something?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Rotary Dial GPO Handset (converted via Rotatone) not working on Digital Voice

Go to solution

It may be dropping the first digit "0". Without that, it will be seen as a local number, which is not supported on DV. Only full national dialling codes are accepted.

See if your converter can pause before dialling the first digit, as it may not be giving enough time for the initial path to be set up.

Message 3 of 7

Re: Rotary Dial GPO Handset (converted via Rotatone) not working on Digital Voice

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Hi @woganator and thanks for posting.

I'd be very interested to know if you get this sorted. Please post back and let us know how you get on.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Hi David, I'm afraid not.  I have given up for a different reason.  Basically the only reason we (re)joined BT was because our prevous broadband / landline provider inadvertently and inexplicably changed our landline number when they renewed our contract.  After much back & forth, they advised the only way to get our old number back was to go to BT as they "owned" all the numbers. 

However, after requesting the renumber several times, it appears it isn't possible at all.  Hence, I have given up with landlines and will have to embrace the brave new world of mobile only telephony.  That said, guys like you on this forum seem to know way more than BT personnel so I might ask a new question out of pure curiosity.

Thanks for your help in any case.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

There is a product I found (for a pal) last week which claims to return vintage dial telephones to full functionality on VOIP lines such as BT Digital Voice.  I'm not posting full details here as I'm unsure about the rules about promoting particular items.  If the Mods could assist me here that would be great.  Cheers.

Note that I have not used the product so cannot personally endorse it in any way.

RIC9380

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

As long as it isn't an e-commerce site, feel free to post a link.

0 Ratings