cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

SMS messages on Digital Voice?

Go to solution

Before we were switched to Digital Voice, it was possible to receive SMS messages on our landline number - they were simply read out by a computer generated voice. This no longer seems to be the case, as I have just been trying to help my stepfather make an online payment - before we had Digital Voice the bank would send an SMS with a passcode to our landline and he'd simply answer the phone there'd be a short announcement and then a request to press 1 to listen to the message.

It says online to ring the Text Store on 0845 602 1111 but it says there were no voicemails, though I can see from the call log that the bank called four times.

Has BT done away with this text to landline facility altogether?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: SMS messages on Digital Voice?

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

@MCGrant 

That facility is no longer available on BT Digital Voice.

Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

That is not acceptable as it should have been made clear before switching of the loss of this service. It is necessary for services such as account verification on Google which means I can no longer use my Google account! Is there no way to get SMS via fibre?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

as @Keith_Beddoe  posted there is no SMS facility of DV   can you not just change verification to a mobile number instead

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

Google account can be verified by a call if you can not get texts.

Turn on 2-Step Verification - Android - Google Account Help

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

But only if you have access to the account!

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

I'm shocked to learn that BT does not provide an SMS/text messaging service on Digital Voice!!! What a retrograde step. They've kept that very quiet! So that's another useful feature that will be disappearing - along with Ring Back When Free, Reminder Call, etc... All in the name of progress(!!)

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Having just been switched (Nov-23) to BT Digital Voice (connecting via the BT supplied Smart Hub 2), I tried texting my landline from my mobile and the SMS message worked fine, coming through on the free Voicemail service.

In other words, SMS messages on Digital Voice do in fact work OK, at least as of now.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

It was the first time I had used my online bank account to get a passcode to my landline and it didn’t work, tried again no joy had to resort to using my mobile and going up stairs to get a signal one reason why I preferred the landline. As previously mentioned what a backward step. Why are we only finding out these things afterwards. I have just listened to the bt video explaining how digital voice would work not a mention about this or the fact that we know perfectly well that it is not true 99% of phones are compatible they are NOT, we do not change our landline phone like we have to change our mobiles 

0 Ratings