cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Scam Calls

Go to solution

Hi all,

Like everyone else still receiving scam calls on a regular basis and wondered this:- If scammers are using VOIP to make these calls surely there is an IP address associated with it, therefore it should be possible to trace the call/IP address to a VOIP provider and report the scammers to them. I'm assuming this is too easy a thought of mine to prevent or catch these horrid people and someone on here will put me right. How would I be able to trace the IP address of the call on the DV phone? I'm sure Jim Browning would know lol.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Scam Calls

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Do you seriously think that if there was a simple solution to the problem telcos wouldn't have implemented it by now.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Ouch Mr  Licquorice, it was more of a question due to the lack of my knowledge regarding this issue. I did say 'this is too easy a thought of mine '  and was just interested in what the possible complication would be.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

No doubt scammer’s as well as spoofing the calling number info CLI  ( making the call appear to be originating from whatever phone number  they want ) they also employ VPN’s so as to disguise the IP address , chances are that in the background there are many hundreds of thousands of  interceptions of scam call attempts, but unfortunately some get through..

Many of these scammer organisations are ran like legal businesses in that they have cutting edge call platform technology that genuine calls centres use ( like robots making the outgoing call , and only those answered passed to a call centre agent )  and are well versed in keeping one step ahead….network providers also need to make sure genuine calls get through.

Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Oh yes, VPN's, thanks Iniltous, explains a lot. I'm sure someone someday will solve it.

0 Ratings