cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Spam & Scam, but how?

Go to solution

We’ve just recently gone live with the Digital Voice service, we’re ex-directory and we haven’t used the phone at all so far. We’ve received several scam calls every day (used who called me)

I haven’t used the number for anything stupid like online competitions and signups etc. Can anyone put a reason forward for why this has suddenly started since switching over? Is it possible for people to discover my landline number through my broadband?

I’ll admit complete ignorance with this stuff, which is why I’m here playing Piñata

Thanks

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Spam & Scam, but how?

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Hi @marco63   No need to worry unless they know you by name. Scammers use auto-diallers so calling all numbers in sequence. Normally they have no idea who you are.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

It will be just coincidence that this has happened when you went onto Digital Voice.

Telephone scammers use auto dialler machines that just dial numbers, thousands per day.  If the machine gets lucky it gets a genuine phone number and if it gets even more lucky somebody answers it. When you answer it there will be a pause while the auto dialler transfers the call to either a recorded massage asking you to do something or transfer it to  a person who will try and get you to do something to their advantage and your detriment.

Keep in mind that no legitimate company will cold call you asking you to transfer money or that you have a problem with your computer or to tell you that you have a fault with your Internet or that you need to give them access to your computer.

If you do get a call the best thing to do is hang up or if you prefer use some expletives then hang up. 

0 Ratings