cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Thinking about getting digital voice?

Digital voice seems to offer few if any advantages over the normal analogue 'phone service. It is evident from my conversations with BT personnel that even employees do not fully understand the way in which digital voice works. I live in an old house with very thick stone walls, and I was assured that digital voice would solve existing landline connection problems that I have in parts of the house. I have resolved internet wireless connection issues by installing a mesh network. I was told by BT employees that the digital voice range could be extended by using BT's WiFi discs. This is not the case. Digital voice is a DECT system that requires all phones to be able to connect to the BT hub. My advice to people thinking about switching to digital voice is DON'T. You will lose the ability to drop the local area code when you dial local numbers.  You will have to connect older phones directly to your hub (or use another connector) if you want to use you old answerphone. The DECT range is not what is claimed when walls are taken into account. And, of course, if your broadband goes down, you will have no landline connectivity.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Thinking about getting digital voice?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

You are a bit late to the party. There are many posts on the forum where the points you have raised have been discussed to the nth degree.

If you use the search facility on the forum I'm sure you will find them.

Message 4 of 9

.........and by 2025, you won't have a choice when the analogue system is switched off.

Message 5 of 9

I doubt that will be possible. Rather like the move to DAB radio. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Doubt all you like.

Message 7 of 9

@RSJ 

The reason for this, is explained on this two page website.

https://www.draytek.co.uk/information/blog/the-end-of-analogue-phone-lines-pt1

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

I completely understand BT's desire to get this changeover done and the rationale. However, I doubt that it will be achievable in the timescale. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

@RSJ wrote:

I completely understand BT's desire to get this changeover done and the rationale. However, I doubt that it will be achievable in the timescale. 

And why would that be. Do you have evidence to back up that statement or is it just guess/ hunch/ stab in the dark.

0 Ratings