cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Unlimited Minutes to 700 minutes

Go to solution

Hello, I hope you can help me, I can't find the info on the site itself nor on the help pages.

I have Digital Voice and am on Unlimited Minutes, but I'd like to switch to 700 minutes as my 'landline' usage isn't high and it's too expensive now. I can't find a way to do it. When I went to the 'manage' sections, the option wasn't even there. 

I'm out of contract (have been for a couple of years now, I think), but still getting the phone and broadband from BT. Is there an easy way for me to be switched over to 700 minutes, or do I have to sign another contract for it?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Unlimited Minutes to 700 minutes

Go to solution
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

@ValEThis link should help

Calling plans 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

@Bob1001.Thank you. Unfortunately I've already tried this. And have just tried it again. What I see is:

Your Current Calling Plan
Unlimited Minutes £16.67 Monthly.
Calling Plan Add-ons Monthly
then the recommended to 'Stay on current'.
Below that the options are:
International calling add ons
Friends and family internation £2.30
International Freedom £9.82
Friends and Family Mobile £3.11
and
No Thanks.

I clicked 'No thanks' as I don't want any of the above, and then I clicked the Continue button.
The following page then gave me a large red warning banner that says:

You haven't made any changes so far. If you wish to continue,
You'll need to add or remove some of these add ons. Items that
are selected are already active on the account.

So I click 'No Thanks' and Continue again and get...
exactly the same as before.

I don't know what to do next. Sorry.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

@ValEwrote:

I'm out of contract (have been for a couple of years now, I think), but still getting the phone and broadband from BT. Is there an easy way for me to be switched over to 700 minutes, or do I have to sign another contract for it?

You should be able to manage it via www.bt.com/mybt but you can always call 0800 800 150 to make the change.
You do not need to recontract to change calling plans, although you might find a decent offer if you did renew and save some money.

Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

@-Richie-

Oh, okay. Thanks. I'll try phoning. I've not been getting anywhere by doing it via MyBt.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

BT clearly want everyone on Unlimited Minutes, that's why they automatically move you to that plan if you exceed 700 minutes two months in a row (or 500 minutes two months in a row if you're on the 500 Minutes Plan).

I agree, it's far too expensive. Unlimited Anytime was cheaper (okay, it had no inclusive calls to mobiles, but that should be an optional add-on as not everyone needs that), and it's much easier to keep track of individual 60-minute calls (then hanging up and redialling if you need longer), than it is to keep track of 500 or 700 cumulative minutes each month - especially for customers who don't manage their accounts online. You can do 'Call My Bill' to find out how many minutes you've used, but it's a hassle doing that all the time. No doubt they want customers to feel anxious about this, so that they'll 'cave in' and go for Unlimited Minutes.

Also, BT are now rather sly about 500 Minutes...is it still available or not? Their 'Consumer Price Guide' lists it as one of the "Calling Plans we no longer sell", but their 'Landline Deals' web page still mentions it in the small print (with no "not available for new supply" disclaimer). I believe Customer Services will still put you on 500 Minutes if you call them and politely explain that you don't need any more minutes than that. What you'd end up being charged is anyone's guess...the tariff guide makes it look as though both 500 and 700 Minutes are £7.50 a month (!), but the small print underneath says: "**This is a maximum price; some customers may pay less. Please refer to your bill."

Go figure!