cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 31 of 36

Re: Use SH2 for digital voice and Asus router for wired / wifi internet

Go to solution

Many thanks @TimCurtis

That's essentially what I have done (I think)

The WAN port assignation on the ASUS DSL-AC82U is slightly different as you can reassign the WAN port whereas on the ASUS DSL-AC68U I think you had to assign one of the existing LAN ports as the WAN port.

BT SH2
left as default the IP address: 192.168.1.254, subnet mask: 255.255.255.0, DHCP server set to: NO

ASUS DSL-AC82U <- IP range out of the box for ASUS was different from BT SH2 so didn't have to change defaults!)
The out of the box setting was IP address: 192.168.50.1, subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
LAN-DHCP Server, IP Pool Starting Address: 192.168.50.2, IP Pool Ending Address: 192.168.50.254
WAN | Dual WAN | settings changed from default DSL to WAN
WAN | Internet Connection | as a result of changing settings above from DSL to WAN. Key changes here was to set set the WAN connection type to: Static IP and define the WAN IP settings, IP Address: 192.168.1.10, Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 and Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254 (see previous image)

The only thing I have not done in the BT SH2 is to setup Port forwarded all IPv4/6 traffic to 192.168.1.10 nor put the ASUS in the DMZ.

BT SH2

Home

BT_SH2_login_TelNrRemovedy.jpg

My Network

BT_SH2_network.jpg

ASUS DSL-AC82U

WAN setup

ASUS_dsl-ax82u_wan_800.jpg

It all seems to be working well in the current set-up.

---

Next week I'm going to try something slightly different and see if it works. 

If it does not work then I will revert to the above set-up.

---

BT are sending me a Digital Voice WIFI adapter.  Long story, it seems BT process stopped them sending me this freebie adapter until my DV had been activated.  BT have now dispatched the Digital Voice WIFI adapter which is due on Monday.

On  Monday I will remove BT SH2 and revert to my ASUS being the front-end using PPPoE - the setup I've had for the last 18 months. 

I will plug our landline phone line into the Digital Voice WIFI adapter, and pair it to the ASUS DSL-AC82U. 

BT Support tell me this will work with a third-party setup such as my ASUS DSL-AC82U. 

Lots of forums say it will not work and BT digital voice only works if the BT SH2 is plugged in at the front end. 

Lets see. 

If it works then I don't need the BT SH2 and  I revert to my original setup. 

If it doesn't work then I revert to the BT SH2 -> ASUS DSL-AC82U (set in WAN mode). 

I'd be very surprised if this does not work, as not every household that has an old fashion telephone via a landline will be using BT to provide their Broadband?

Peter

0 Ratings
Message 32 of 36

Go to solution

I have not heard of  digital voice wifi adapter - I suspect it will be digital voice adapter that llows a normal telephone o be plugged into it and connects to the Dect base station in the SH2.

Will be pleasantly surprised if I am wrong though.

0 Ratings
Message 33 of 36

Go to solution

I have one of these wifi adaptors.

It needs power, and connects to the SH2 wirelessly, and the DECT base station ( or other phone ) that would go in the old wall socket goes into this.  So you can use the old phones with the SH2 / DV.  Only works with the SH2 .

0 Ratings
Message 34 of 36

Go to solution

BT support are telling you a load of nonsense. The DV adapter is simply a portable DECT device with a phone socket that will only connect to the SH2.

0 Ratings
Message 35 of 36

Go to solution

@countrypaul @JerryLee @licquorice

I suspected from what I had read that in fact "BT Support were telling me a load of nonsense".

I suspected that the DV adapter was simply a portable DECT device with a phone socket that replaces a wall extension socket.

It sounded too good to be true, that this magic DV adapter could replaced the phoneline VOIP connector built into the BT SH2.  I thought it might be possible and accepted the offer of BT Support to send me one of these gadgets.  BT Support were so convincing I suspected I  was not being fed codswallop as lots of people might have a PSTN land line supplied by BT but broadband supplied by someone other than BT.  My BT OpenReach master socket for instance has a phone socket and a broadband socket. 

Sounds like BT Support were feeding me codswallop!

GOOD news I have a working solution.  BT SH2 ->  ASUS DSL-AC82U

And the even BETTER good news is it ported over without me having to change any of the underlying setup of my existing network that includes WIFI AP in most rooms nor did I need to get the burglar alarm engineers to reset their setup which is linked to 192.168.50.XXX

Big thank you to @licquorice

0 Ratings
Message 36 of 36

Go to solution

Set up is working well...

BT SH2 ->  ASUS DSL-AC82U -> connected to 6 APs connected via cat6 in room

Digital phone works as it should from any extension.

Existing wired backhaul mesh network working well.

One happy customer.  

Yesterday returned to BT their DV adapter.

Peter