cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 13

Re: @GrahamMMM that should work in your favour as the number...

Great information here. Thanks.

I'm about to go the same way from Virgin to BT.  My number was with BT before moving to Virgin 20 years ago.

So What is the correct process in order to do the Number Port.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 13

Hi Garry

Unfortunately I still do not know the correct process to transfer from Virgin to BT retaining the existing landline number. It seems we were incorrectly advised by BT to set up the new contract with BT prior to transferring our landline number from Virgin, but as we are now having to mange this situation we find ourselves in I do not have an understanding of the correct process.

We are now in contact with a BT community moderator so I am hopeful this will be resolved successfully, but that is all I can really say at this time.

Sorry cannot be more help.

Graham 

Message 13 of 13

If you have multiple services with Virgin ( TV , phone , broadband ) only the phone service is affected by asking BT ( or anyone else ) to provide a ‘line’ and arrange to port the number from the old provider, obviously it’s possible the BT customer service rep has given incorrect information, or it could be they were referring only to the TV/broadband when they said for you to contact VM to get those services stopped.

The process is , you only contact the new company ( BT in this case ) , they arrange a new Openreach based service , and send a request to VM that your existing number is ported ( or returned ) to BT ,  you don’t contact the old company at all about this , if you do it messes things up.

However that’s  if it’s just the phone service,  if you have multiple services and want all VM products to cease , and don’t contact VM about the TV or broadband , you could find that the phone number is ported to the new Openreach based service , but the VM TV and VM broadband continue to work and obviously they continue to bill you for those services, and when you realise you still have VM TV/ broadband, you cancel them , but you would be  paying for both providers for a period.

If you do call VM , you would have to ensure they realise you are only serving notice for TV and broadband, and that BT will be serving notice for the phone , as part of asking for the number to be ported.

Part of the problem, is up until recently you couldn’t have broadband on an Openreach line without a phone service, but Virgin have always had separate services, you could have just a phone , just broadband or both but they are separate accounts , if you were moving to BT from Talk Talk ( for example ) porting the number would cease TT phone and TT broadband, so you wouldn’t need to speak to TT at all .