cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

What if I don't want digital voice?

Go to solution

I am currently using landline ..

• My bt contract expired and I renewed with them via chat , however they never made me aware that they are switching me to digital voice. According to help , it says well let you know if your eligble for digital voice and discuss the benefits so you can decide if you want to move across to digital voice at this time. 
  • They never discussed this at all. I only realise from the confirmation email they are switching me.  What do I do now ? I don't want to move to digital voice since it won't work if I have no WiFi. I have poor health and need to be able to access my landline in an emergency to contact family.  I don't use my mobile for calls ect . I feel I should have been informed about this before I agreed to a new contract. What can I do about this
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: What if I don't want digital voice?

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

@xKJx 

if posting here you must have internet access so are you a BT broadband customer with a BT hub for internet?  Digital voice does not work over wifi but connects to your hub using DECT.  you can also connect your existing phone to the green socket on the back of the hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

@xKJx To add to @imjolly 's post. Every provider is moving their customers to this Internet based (Digital Voice/VoIP) voice service as the current system used today is closing.

There's solutions being offered and expectations set by the regulator, OFCOM, when migrating to this Internet based service. BT Consumer themselves offer a battery backup (UPS) device today to continue powering the Smart Hub 2 for a period of time in a powercut. They are working on other solutions too such as ones that last longer and also hybrid handsets that switch to use the mobile network as an example.

If you have a medical condition or have medical equipment then you can also register with your energy suppliers Priority Services Register which will provide those with extra help when there's a powercut.  BT Consumer have a priority welfare register too to help prioritise those customers when their broadband has a fault.

More information about powercuts and digital landlines at: https://landlinesgo.digital/powercut/

0 Ratings