cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 22

Will my existing phone system accessories still work when land line is removed?

Go to solution

When I built my house new in 2012 the requirement was to remain with BT for 12 months after the new land line was installed. This we did. Subsequently we added two power-line TP-Link AV500s to transmit the internet wifi round the house, one downstairs one upstairs. The BT master socket and land line entry point is in one corner upstairs. Even before that, we installed Panasonic 3 station telephone handsets KX-TGC210E at two BT socket extensions round the house any one of which may be picked up to answer a call. You can also use the handsets for intercomm calls inside the house.

How much of this existing technology if any will continue to function when the BT copper land line is removed?

Which of 3 functions (wifi broadcast; remote call pick up; intercomm) can be achieved without BT land line?

How would this be done on the other hand using BT's 'Digital Voice' or indeed by some other means?

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22

Re: Will my existing phone system accessories still work when land line is removed?

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 22

Re: Will my existing phone system accessories still work when land line is removed?

Go to solution

you need to use the BT Sh2 after connected to digital voice but you then connect the panasonic base to the green  socket on back of hub and your other panasonic extensions should connect to the base as normal  the power line adapter should work as they do now

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 22

Go to solution

You appear to be saying that you have two sets of DECT handsets plugged into two different extensions?

If that's the case then to work as it does now, you would need to patch your existing extensions into the SH2. Or you could deregister from one base & reregister to the other, subject to any limitation on the number of handsets that can be registered . That would then plug directly into the SH2 as above.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 22

Go to solution

All of it will work as before. Powerline adapters have nothing to do with your landline, they are Ethernet devices. You simply move your base station connection from one socket to another

Message 6 of 22

Go to solution

No, only a single set of 3 x Panasonic handsets. The AV-500 powerline wifi repeaters simply rebroadcast the wifi signal by plugging in to mains sockets they are not handsets at all. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 22

Go to solution

To summarise: the AV-500s are ethernet devices and will work as now using the house mains to carry the wifi signal. I just plug the base station into the new BT base station and the 2 x outlying AV-500s function as now as outlier wifi with their own passwords. Of 3 x Panasonic handsets, again the base phone and handset connect to the new BT base station, the other two will function as now.

Sorry for confusing the 3 x Panasonic phone handsets with the 3 x ethernet over mains plugs (no handsets involved).

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 22

Go to solution

Thank you for replying. My ethernet powerline wifi repeaters of course have nothing to do with the copper land line I just included them to provide the full picture. I thus have 3 x handsets bought as a KX-TGC210E kit. What do you mean "I will have to patch my existing extensions into the SH2"? What is the SH2? Are you saying the existing BT sockets that are wired as extensions from the main socket will no longer work as such? Please clarify.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 22

Go to solution
Thank you for replying. My ethernet powerline wifi repeaters of course have nothing to do with the copper land line I just included them to provide the full picture. I thus have 3 x handsets bought as a KX-TGC210E Panasonic kit. I am not sure what do you mean "I will have to patch my existing extensions into the SH2"? What is the SH2? Are you saying the existing BT sockets that are wired as extensions from the main socket will no longer work as such? Please clarify.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 22

Go to solution

SH2 > Smart Hub 2, the router you need for Digital Voice.

In your OP you said:

we installed Panasonic 3 station telephone handsets KX-TGC210E at two BT socket extensions round the house

This lead me to believe you maybe has two sets, which you subsequently clarified.

By default, your existing extensions will no longer work with DV. But this can be rectified by patching them into the SH2 as stated. The exact method depends on whether you will have Full Fibre or not.

0 Ratings