cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 22

Re: Will my existing phone system accessories still work when land line is removed?

Go to solution
Excellent advice thanks @rbz5416. Is 'full fibre' going to be quite common or an option/expensive choice? Asking a lot, but can you say what, broadly, the methods might be for patching our remote extensions (both are quite a distance from the master BT socket and wires are buried in the house walls and floors). And am I likely to get some help from BT who support / allow the current setup to work?
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 22

Re: Will my existing phone system accessories still work when land line is removed?

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 22

Go to solution

@arsie1 wrote:
Excellent advice thanks @rbz5416. Is 'full fibre' going to be quite common or an option/expensive choice? Asking a lot, but can you say what, broadly, the methods might be for patching our remote extensions (both are quite a distance from the master BT socket and wires are buried in the house walls and floors). And am I likely to get some help from BT who support / allow the current setup to work?

Any given package is the same price regardless of being delivered via copper or fibre.

I'm not entirely sure why you need to do anything with the extension sockets if you have a cordless system. However if you do need them, you simply need to backwire the green socket on the hub to the telephony side of the master socket. How this is achieved is dependent on your master socket type.

You will get no assistance from BT regarding this as your home wiring is your responsibility. However, if you provide exact details of what you have and what you wish to achieve, a precise method can be supplied.

Message 14 of 22

Go to solution
@licquorice thanks for replying. On inspection of Panasonic KX-TGC the 1 x main phone sits in a cradle with jack plug power supply and a small green telecomm connector plug showing 3 copper wires, it fits into the right hand socket of two on my BT 'Master Socket SC' on the wall. The SC left land socket goes to the separate wifi router. My 2 x remote Panasonic phones each sit in a self recharging socket and connected via similar small green telecomm connector plugs to the wall. I can see 3 copper wires in the connectors. Lifting one of the remote phones or unplugging the telecomm connector gives a tone. I am at a loss to say if 2x remote phones are wired or wireless, certainly once a call is picked up you can wander about & don't lose the call connection, so the handset itself is wireless? But I'm not so sure about the link. You can use the 3 phones as a small direct inter comm system when the system is free i.e. when not taking a call.
0 Ratings
Message 15 of 22

Go to solution

@arsie1 

You seem to be confusing the power connections for the remote handsets. They appear to use a variation of the RJ11 phone connector but do nothing but carry power to the cradle.

Pana.jpg

Message 16 of 22

Go to solution
@rbz5416 I admit to being easily confused! My remote cradles are labelled 'PNLC1042 battery charger output 4.6v'. So are remote handsets wireless as such? And will they continue to function even after BT remove the land line? Likewise the inter comm capability?
0 Ratings
Message 17 of 22

Go to solution

Yes they're wireless & as @imjolly said in post #3, they will continue to work as before. once the base is plugged into the Hub.

Message 18 of 22

Go to solution

OK, let’s try and clarify this.

Looking on the internet the KX-TGC210E is a single handset cordless phone.  From what you have said, it sounds as though you have three separate cordless phones, rather than a single base station + 2 handsets.

What is confusing people is that this is a very unusual configuration for cordless phones.  I myself have Panasonic cordless phones but the KX-TGS660E, consisting of a base station and 3 satellite handsets.  In my case the base station plugs into the back of the SH2 and the handsets communicate with the base station by DECT.  (DECT is a type of wireless used for cordless phones.  It is not the same thing as Wi-Fi).

If I’ve understood you correctly, what you have is 3 base stations plugged into extension wiring around the house.  Each handset will communicate with its own base station wirelessly and through the extension wiring to the master socket and the outside world.  Essentially, this is just like having non-cordless extensions around the house.

If this is the case you will need the extension wiring to connect to the SH2 instead of the master socket.  If this is the case you must be careful not to disconnect the incoming line from the master socket, as you still need this to communicate with the outside world.  Your broadband and digital voice will still be delivered via this line.  Your internal extension wiring, however, will need to connect to the SH2 if you want to continue to use all three base stations around the house.

I must stress that this is a highly unusually configuration for cordless phones, so I may well have pick you up wrongly in which case what I have said simply does not apply.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 22

Go to solution

Apologies to all for a confusing question and thanks for making me go look see what I have actually got!

Throwing in the ethernet powerline wifi extenders was a complete red herring, in effect. Sorry again.

The Panasonic kit I have is KX-TGC210E which comprises 1 x handset plugged into the BT master socket, it's wirelessly connected to 2 x remote handsets sitting on cradles connected to low voltage  connectors, the end plug being an RJ11 (hope I got that right) which looks like BUT ISN'T a telecomms connection. All it gives is power, being used to charge the handset in the cradle. Remote BT phone sockets were just in my imagination though might have been there originally.

With thanks to all who answered and your tolerance, imjolly and rbz5416 in particular.

Message 20 of 22

Go to solution

Right, it's essentially the same configuration as my own then.

So, the base station plugs into the back of the SH2.  You should not need to make any alterations to you existing wiring.  You just unplug the base station from the master socket and plug it into the green socket on the back of the SH2.  Everything will work as before.

One point, though.  BT usually send you a text to confirm the transfer to DV (Digital Voice) has gone through.  You may well find you need to reboot the SH2 before it picks up the new settings, however.  If it is working, your phone number should be shown on the management page of the SH2. 

0 Ratings