cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Wired VoIP phone with digital voice?

We have FTTP with an openreach modem connected to a Google WiFi setup. No bt smart hub in sight, for reasons that aren't relevant to this question.

We are being 'upgraded' to digital voice, which will mean our current phones will stop working. This is despite us not having a copper line in the house at all, and everything already going down the fibre.

My question is whether it's possible to use a wired VoIP phone connected to a network port in the house with digital voice? Or is the only phone hardware available the phone that BT provide that requires a hub to act as base station?

Any ideas? The BT tech support people I spoke to seemed to have absolutely no idea, and insisted the reason for our 'upgrade' was to stop using the old copper line, which we have never had in this house.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Wired VoIP phone with digital voice?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Assuming you are on FVA? If you don't want the voice service you can go broadband only.

With BT Digital Voice you can only get the VoIP voice service to work with the BT Smart Hub 2 as that contains the configuration and mechanism for it to work

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Not sure what you mean FVA? Looking like broadband only is going to be the way, but the person I spoke to was suggesting this wasn't possible during our current fixed term so I would be forced to pay for an unused line for the remainder. 

Awaiting a call back from a more senior member of the team, as the person I spoke to refused to believe I wasn't currently using copper line. Unlikely it will be resolved before the do the switch anyway, only got an email about it on Monday and it happens next week.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

if no copper wire then your phone must be connected to the fibre modem giving FVA service.  this service is ending and replaced with BT Digital voice which requires the use of the SH2 as the base station connected to the ONT (fiber modem)

if you don't want to use the SH2 then you may be better getting a 3rd party VOIP service and selecting Broadband only from BT

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Ok, sounds like what I thought. Strange that the person I spoke to was in denial about it.

I'll speak to them again and insist on switching to a broadband only package.

I'm not being unreasonable to be able to do this during a previously negotiated 24 month contract am I? BT is fundamentally changing the service they are providing 

0 Ratings