cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 70

digital voice and draytek vigor 2862

We are being moved to digital voice soon.  We dont' have/use bt smart hub 2 - instead a draytek vigor 2862 router.  Can I connect my landline to draytek in the same way I would if we had hub2??  If not, how can we get round this?

0 Ratings
69 REPLIES 69
Message 2 of 70

Re: digital voice and draytek vigor 2862

Message 3 of 70

as has been posted numerous times if you have DV then the SH2 must be first connection to the internet and you can then connect your own router to the SH2   the FAQ will help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 70

In a word, no.  Digital voice is a proprietary system that only work through the smart hub 2.

Personally, I use a Draytek 2762.  Since DV I’ve had it set up as:

The SH2 needs to be directly connected to the master socket/ONT for digital voice.

Smart Hub 2 (SH2) router settings:

DHCP off.  (The addresses here are best set as static addresses).

Router itself set to a static IP of 192.168.1.254, (the default).

Subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 or /24, (also the default).

DMZ host set to 192.168.1.2  (This should stop double NAT problems but you only really need it if you run a server etc.  Note, this setting allows a lot of traffic to bypass the SH2 firewall, so you are relying on your own router’s firewall for security).

Turn off both Wi-Fi bands in favour of your own router.  (This may also be a good security move if you do enable the DMZ host.  I would still expect Wi-Fi traffic on the SH2 to go through its firewall but I can’t be sure how they’ve set it up internally).

Connect the DSL port to the phone socket on the wall, (or the WAN port to the ONT, if on FTTP).

DV phone/extension then plugs into the phone socket on the Smart Hub 2.

Own router settings:

DHCP on, range 192.168.0.2-192.168.0.200  (Note the 0 in the third position, making this a separate network to the SH2.  This is deliberate, not a typo).

Router itself is on a static IP of 192.168.0.1

Subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 or /24

Enable the EWAN port and set it to a fixed IP of 192.168.1.2, (so it is part of the SH2 network).

Gateway set to 192.168.1.254, (again, pointing to the SH2).

DNS set to 192.168.1.254 (or whatever you usually use).

The EWAN socket on your own router (probably 4) connects to a LAN port on the SH2.  (NB. This will not work if you use the DSL port on your own router).

Message 5 of 70

Hi WSH,

An excellent piece of advise for Draytek router users with no choice from BT and their new DV role out.

The BT router is very simple to configure with the settings that you advise below from what I can see although I have not actually configured these settings just yet.

As far as he Draytek router is concerned I have changed very few settings via the Web admin page for this router, apart from making some bespoke settings for BT IP settings when I first took delivery. It has worked faultlessly out of the box since 2014. 

Can you provide some advice as to where I go on the Draytek web admin page to make and change the settings you advise. Screen grabs would be good if you could manage that.

I have tried contacting Draytek support for some help but they speak in very convolute, obtuse and perplexing manner. I am not a complete dork and can manage most PC techie challenges but this one is unfamiliar territory for me having not ventured into the depths of Draytek Web Admin page historically.

Thanks Hmmmmmmmmmm

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 70

This is not really something I would recommend for the beginner, as it can be a bit convoluted, but up to you.

This based on a 2762.  The 2862 is the industrial version and a bit over the top for home use.  Draytek do a simulation interface on their website, however, that suggests the user interface on the 2862 is practically identical, so:

DHCP:  If memory serves the Draytek defaults to 192.168.1.x.  If so, this will clash with the Smart Hub, (the SH2).  The easiest way out of this is, in fact, to change the SH2.  This will be less work and leaves your network as is.  Go into the SH2 then Advanced settings > My network > IPv4 Configuration and change the setting from 192.168.1.254 to 192.168.0.254.  Note, the DHCP on the SH2 is a bit flaky and you may need to change the DHCP server range to the same third number even though you are not going to use it.  Once you’ve done that, turn the DHCP server off.

(*In the original post I left out IPv6.  If you want IPv6 the easiest way is, on the Draytek go to LAN > General setup > LAN1 IPv6 button.  Tick the enable box and set it for WAN2.  Disable the DNS and DHCP settings.  On the Smart Hub you will need to go into Advanced > IPv6 > Configuration and set it to Stateless.  ULA can be left off).

EWAN:   On the Draytek, WAN > General setup > WAN2.  Set the enable box to on.  The rest can be left on defaults.

Then it’s WAN > Internet Access > WAN2 > Details page > Static or Dynamic IP tab.  Under Specify an IP address, set the IP address to 192.168.0.2, subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and the gateway to 192.168.0.254.  DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.  WAN set to always on.  MTU set to 1492.  The rest can stay on defaults again.

(*Again, the IPv6 I left out last time: WAN > Internet Access > IPv6.  Set it to DHCPv6 Client, Always on, Enable bridge mode, Enable firewall, LAN1).

Just to clarify again,...I've reversed the use of 1 and 0 in the third postion here, relative to my original post.  This should be less work in your case.

Message 7 of 70

Hi WSH,

Thanks, you are very kind and considerate person to respond rapidly, efficiently and in manner that can be followed by a beginner like me. See my response to some of your questions in Italic text below along with a further question from me.

This is not really something I would recommend for the beginner, as it can be a bit convoluted, but up to you. No worries, thanks, I think I can manage

This based on a 2762.  The 2862 is the industrial version and a bit over the top for home use.  Draytek do a simulation interface on their website, however, that suggests the user interface on the 2862 is practically identical, so: Sorry for clarification I have a Draytek Vigor 2860Vn- Plus, I could not afford of justify the 2862

DHCP:  If memory serves the Draytek defaults to 192.168.1.x.  If so, yes this is the DHCP default IP this will clash with the Smart Hub, (the SH2).  The easiest way out of this is, in fact, to change the SH2.  This will be less work and leaves your network as is.  Go into the SH2 then Advanced settings > My network > IPv4 Configuration and change the setting from 192.168.1.254 to 192.168.0.254.  Note, the DHCP on the SH2 is a bit flaky and you may need to change the DHCP server range to the same third number even though you are not going to use it.  Once you’ve done that, turn the DHCP server off. Sorry this bit is not making sense, after setting DHCP as above, then turn DHCP off, why do we have to make the settings if its turned off?

(*In the original post I left out IPv6.  If you want IPv6 the easiest way is, on the Draytek go to LAN > General setup > LAN1 IPv6 button.  Tick the enable box and set it for WAN2.  Disable the DNS and DHCP settings.  On the Smart Hub you will need to go into Advanced > IPv6 > Configuration and set it to Stateless.  ULA can be left off).

EWAN:   On the Draytek, WAN > General setup > WAN2.  Set the enable box to on.  The rest can be left on defaults. I have managed to find this setting

Then it’s WAN > Internet Access > WAN2 > Details page > Static or Dynamic IP tab.  Under Specify an IP address, set the IP address to 192.168.0.2, subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and the gateway to 192.168.0.254.  DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.  WAN set to always on.  MTU set to 1492.  The rest can stay on defaults again. I have managed to find this settings page

(*Again, the IPv6 I left out last time: WAN > Internet Access > IPv6.  Set it to DHCPv6 Client, Always on, Enable bridge mode, Enable firewall, LAN1). Yes thanks, I was going to ask about this, thank for including it.

Just to clarify again,...I've reversed the use of 1 and 0 in the third postion here, relative to my original post.  This should be less work in your case. Yep I can see & understand what you have done here to stop it clashing with the BT SH2.

Thanks a lot for your assistance it is very much appreciated 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 70

Sorry for the delay…been busy and missed your response.

I don’t think the 2860 is under support any more.  From the security point of view, it might be worth updating to something newer, but up to you.  (Edit: I take it back.  I see it had a firmware update 25th June this year).   I'm not familiar with the 2860 but hopefully the user interface is not too different to the 2862.

I've found the DHCP in the SH2 to be a bit temperamental.  If you change the address to something outside the range set it just reverts back to the old address and does not even report it as an error.  Caught me out the first time I set one up.  To get the address to stick you have to change the range as well, even though you are turning it off.  They may have fixed this in the latest firmware.  I’ve not checked.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 70

Hi again WSH,

Thanks for your reply, yes, the 2860Vn-Plus browser admin interface is pretty much generic across the Draytek Vigour range of routers.

Ok, so I have to bite the bullet and get this sorted if I want my Digital Voice land line to work with the BT SH2.

Setting up the BT SH2 appears to be simple, i.e. connect BT SH2 to BT wall socket, desk top PC to one of the SH2 ethernet ports, follow your settings as advised in last post or (Post Two in this matter). Then save new configuration settings and reboot the router.

Disconnect BT SH2 and Connect Drakyek 2860Vn-Plus onto BT wall Socket via ADSL/ADSL, configure the Draktek following your settings as advised in last post or (Post Two in this matter).  Then save new configuration settings and reboot the router. At this point though it will be no longer be connected on internet as it is still connected via ADSL/ADSL, with it now being configured for WAN 2?

Therefore I assume and if all has gone to plan Connect BT SH2 back onto BT wall socket, and Draytek to SH2 via EWAN2 from one of the SH2 Ethernet ports?

Thanks Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 70

Correct, but you do not need to be connected to the outside world to set them up.  The Draytek might need a reboot after you connect it to the SH2

0 Ratings