cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 31 of 70

Re: digital voice and draytek vigor 2862

I think part of the problem here is that you are trying to do this piecemeal.  It’s not something you can do that way.

You really need to do the whole setup from the Draytek to the Draytek+SH2 in one go.  If it’s done properly, everything should work just as before.  That’s why I suggested leaving the Draytek address range the same and instead changing the SH2 to 192.168.0.  It makes minimum work for you.

DV does not need to be up and running beforehand.  For the time being, you can leave the phone plugged into the wall and when the time comes all you need to do is move the phone plug from the wall to the back of the SH2.  (Although the SH2 will probably need a reboot, as I said before).

0 Ratings
Message 32 of 70

Hi WSH,

Yes, I think you are right, my foiled plan to do it small chunks has clearly sent me down the garden path and caused you guys some unnecessary comms, although I have to say despite my error all very much appreciated.

The other thing that has worried me a tad is losing all internet and network functionality hence the small chunks option.

However, I have come to realise rightly or wrongly that no matter what changes I make to the Draytek EWAN settings, the LAN 1 port and its configurations remain unchanged whilst the ADSL cable from BT wall socket is connected to Draytek ADSL port.   

The EWAN configuration although changed to the settings you advised and saved will not take effect until an Ethernet cable from the SH2 is connected to the Draytek EWAN port.

If something does not function I can reconnect the Draytek back the BT wall socket via the LAN 1 ADSL port and hopefully I will be back to square one with no BT SH2 and DV. 

Although its time now to bite the bullet configure the EWAN as advised on the Draytek, connect the SH2 to the Draytek via ethernet cable and the EWAN port on the Draytek

Thanks Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

0 Ratings
Message 33 of 70

Hi WSH,

Ok at long last the BT SH2 is running full time with the Draytek connected via the EWAN. With all settings applied as you advised…………thanks , it is very much appreciated.

The Draytek is clicking more that it ever was, I guess because I am now using a circuit never used before internally. Or is it the BT SH2 clicking?

Internet and email are all functioning well.

First question: - Went back into both BT SH2 and the Draytek admin pages to double check all settings all fine except for Then it’s WAN > Internet Access > WAN2 > Details page > Static or Dynamic IP tab.  Under Specify an IP address, set the IP address to 192.168.0.2, subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and the gateway to 192.168.0.254.  DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.  WAN set to always on.  MTU set to 1492. I definitely applied the subnet mask setting of 255.255.255.0 in fact I have gone back in a reapplied it. However, every time I check the box for sub net settings is blank.

Second question: - BT sent me the EE Hybrid hub, I do not have it connected as internet on average is very stable in our area, just lost it once or twice over the many decades I have been with BT. Then to solve this one they did a lift and shift in the green BT cabinet on the road, it solved the disconnection issues.

All I have left to do is to contact BT to reactivate the DV now that the SH2 is actually online. The first time they attempted the DV activation the SH2 was not online. In fact, this is the first time in umpteen decades for me to utilise any BT internet equipment.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

0 Ratings
Message 34 of 70

The plastic on the SH2 is cheap and cheerful.  I find they click a lot as the warm up/cool down.  Eventually it should stabilize and go quiet.

Strange it should be blank but if everything is working, the subnet mask will be correct.  It won’t work if it isn’t.  If memory serves, the Draytek usually adds it to the IP address with the alternative slash notation of /24.  It means the same thing, just using the number of binary bits in the mask.

The second question isn’t a question?

0 Ratings
Message 35 of 70

Hi WSH,

Thanks again for your answers, very much appreciated. 

Sorry yes quest two I omitted.............I was going to ask what is your view/advice/experience  concerning the BT Hybrid connect, should one use it or not?

Thanks Hmmmmmm

0 Ratings
Message 36 of 70

I've never actually used one myself.  I don't believe in paying for Halo3 or whatever, it's mostly upselling.

As I understand it, it is a 4g backup connection and so only works if the main connection fails anyway.   I would expect it to connect to the SH2 via a LAN port.  If it connects wirelessly, you would need to turn the SH2 WiFi back on again and I would be inclined to leave it off, if I could.

I've got a vague recollection that it only works when BT authorise the switch to it?  Just out of curiosity, do BT provide a separate sim card for that or is it built-in?

0 Ratings
Message 37 of 70

With Halo3+ you get a 4g device that connects to the SH2 WAN internally via a discrete WiFi channel. It kicks in automatically when the normal connection fails.

With a copper connection, it might be considered worthwhile, however, with a much more reliable  fibre connection I'm not sure of the value.

Message 38 of 70

Hi WSH

Please find my response to your questions below, seems strange for me to answer questions for you, no worries though you have been more than helpful to me.

I've never actually used one myself.  I don't believe in paying for Halo3 or whatever, it's mostly upselling. I agree with your sentiment entirely, sadly like the majority of BT customers I was given zero choice at contract renewal end of July 24, Digital Voice or no no choice and voice, i.e. no land line or DV. 

As I understand it, it is a 4g backup connection and so only works if the main connection fails anyway.   I would expect it to connect to the SH2 via a LAN port.  If it connects wirelessly, you would need to turn the SH2 WiFi back on again and I would be inclined to leave it off, if I could. Yep it connects  via Ethernet cable, if one has cabling connectivity issues one can connect via wireless. But as you advise by BT wireless is switched off and will remain off.

I've got a vague recollection that it only works when BT authorise the switch to it?  Just out of curiosity, do BT provide a separate sim card for that or is it built-in? Yep so far as I am aware the hybrid hub comes complete with EE sim, if it does not I am definitely not going to use it, the jury is still out the moment I am not sure I want yet another electrical device sucking my cash out of my bank despite it utilising milli  amps, let alone an extra port on the SH2 sucking band width.

Thanks again Hmmmmmmmmmmm

0 Ratings
Message 39 of 70

I've had one phone line failure in 35 years, (and that was only 30 mins or so), so I've never bothered.

@licquorice  Do you happen to know if that wireless channel is also disabled by turning off all wireless on the SH2?

0 Ratings
Message 40 of 70

Yes it is

0 Ratings