cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 61 of 70

Re: digital voice and draytek vigor 2862

Hi WSH,

I too have a similar eating habit, difficult to survive without it being human as you know, anyhow hope you are suitably stuffed as one waitress asked me in West Wales once after a grand meal. Not sure how that question would go down in other parts of UK though.

Yes I think I am going to have seriously consider the advice that both you and Liquorice are providing me with, I need to get that SH2 out of the loop! Especially when I switch to FTTP.

I see your point with the 2860 being built predominantly for DSL, yes it will go in the next few days the 2927ax has just been ordered I am collecting it from NetXL in Guilford tomorrow along with a compatible Draytek WiFi 6 AP906.

The Draytek Vigor 2927ax has Firewall throughput of 1.8GB Mb/sec, designed specifically for FTTP with no DSL modem, so yes it should be more than adequate for FTTP, it too has hardware acceleration functionality. 

I assume that all I need do when I am in receipt of the Draytek Vigor 2927ax is to configure the EWAN in the exact same way as I did for the 2860?

Use it with the SH2 until such time as I switch to FTTP, when I do and should I retain the SH2 the configuration of the Draytek Vigor 2927ax remains the same?

Likewise should I bin the SH2, get a 3rd party VoIP provider for telephone, the Draytek Vigor 2927ax  simply plugs into the BT ONT?

Thanks Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

0 Ratings
Message 62 of 70

I was referring to the week’s shop but same idea.

The SH2 will cope with 950Mb/s.  It’s the 2860 that would (I suspect) be a bottle-neck.

I’m not familiar with the 2927 but a glance at Draytek's demo page suggests it to be essentially the same, so I’d say a provisional yes to your last three questions.

0 Ratings
Message 63 of 70

Hi WSH,.

Thanks as always for prompt and comprehensive response, take care and enjoy your evening meal.

Thanks Hmmmmmmmmmm

0 Ratings
Message 64 of 70

I've just been reading another post which has reminded me...I meant to say don't actually "bin" the SH2.  They'll want it back at some point and will charge you for it if you don't send it back.

0 Ratings
Message 65 of 70

Hi WSH,

Yes a very good point £50 squid actually.

Thanks Hmmmmmmmmmmm

0 Ratings
Message 66 of 70

Hi Liquorice,

On the subject of VoIP providers......

Do you have any experience or knowledge of VoIP providers that you can recommend and or avoid in the UK?

Do you have a recommend list of Pros and Cons for UK VoIP providers?

Thanks Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

0 Ratings
Message 67 of 70

Unfortunately, no.  Last place I worked before I retired was in the process of converting to VoIP but as I was retiring, I didn’t really have anything to do with it.  I can’t even remember who they went with.

0 Ratings
Message 68 of 70

Sorry, I have no direct experience of VoIP providers.

0 Ratings
Message 69 of 70

0 Ratings
Message 70 of 70

Hi WSH,

Thanks as always for your reply and advice, I've had a quick scan of forum members who have switched to VoIP providers in UK, seems to be yet another minefield of poor service. 

Lets hope in time we will get some feed back from a VoIP providers that provides good service. 

Thanks Hmmmmmmmmmmm

0 Ratings