cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

2Ghz and 5Ghz networks

Just been changed over to the Smart Hub 2 and realise that I now cannot give each network its own SSID whereas before I could. Using 5Ghz was always considered better if it could be used so why has that function been removed so you can actually choose which network to connect to as opposed to the router choosing itself?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: 2Ghz and 5Ghz networks

The router does not choose which signal the device uses, the device does that.

The option to split the SSIDs was removed when the Smarthub 2 was introduced a few years ago and I believe it was done so that the wifi discs that can be supplied with some of the BT packages can operate correctly.

Message 3 of 15

Thank you.

So if a device can utilise the 5Ghz network will it automatically choose it?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

It can but it may not. It will depend on a number of factors such as how the device's software has been programed.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

That's how it is I'm afraid. A lot of people who have trouble with some of their WIFi- based equipment not connecting to the SH2, will often initially turn off the 5Ghz band forcing their devices to connect to the 2.4Ghz one and once that is successful turn back on the 5Ghz band again.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

So basically a step backwards then.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

That's exactly the problem I had. Changing routers should have been a five minute job - ie change the SSID to match the previous 2Ghz one - but no it took hours as I had to reconfigure all the Wi-Fi devices and yes that even meant disabling the 5Ghz network so it could force some of the devices to even see the correct network.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

That is your devices that are the issue  because they can not deal with the two having the same SSID.  If their software was correct they wouldn't even be aware of the 5GHz network let alone it being an issue.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

I daresay it is but it was the same for all the cameras. smart plugs and boiler thermostat that insist on the 2.4Ghz network. It wasn't a problem when I could split the networks with a different SSID. Just seems like a retrograde step.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

I had no trouble at all with mine. I originally had BT HH3 which packed up so bought myself a Smart Hub 6, I think it was called then a SH2 from Amazon. In each case I gave them the same SSIDs and password key as the original HH3. All my laptops, tablets, phones and printer connected without any glitches. I don't have any fancy WiFi doorbells, Smart light bulbs or Central Heating stuff needing WiFi to work. Life is stressful enough as it is, without complicating it.

0 Ratings