cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

3rd party router for Full Fibre / FTTP /Ultrafast

Good afternoon

FTTP has recently become available in my area and I am seriously considering upgrading to one of the ultrafast packages from my my current superfast package.

My question is can I use a 3rd party router instead of BT's Smart Hub 2 on ultrafast and connect it to the new Openreach modem ONT box (pending installation) or am I limited to BT's hardware on FTTP on their ultrafast packages.

I used to previously have a smart hub 2 on a previous superfast package but due to the fact I cannot split the SSID bands and other issues due to automated firmware rollouts causing me issues (I know this is still an on-going issue when I scan through the threads on the community forums) and disbaling the 5ghz band is not an option for me.

I currently use a TP-Link Archer VR2100 modem router on my current FTTC package which works flawlessly. Can I use this or a similar device instead of the Smart Hub 2

It should be noted that I don't require a landline service if I make the switch.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: 3rd party router for Full Fibre / FTTP /Ultrafast

@NorthernNico 

You can use your existing TP Link, in the wireless router mode.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/1731/

Message 3 of 10

If you move to FTTP then you don't have to use the SH2. You can plug a 3rd party router directly into the fibre ONT and set up a PPPoE connection. This is what I've done using a 3rd party router and mesh system. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

if you upgrade to FTTP then you will probably get changed to Digital voice.  as long as you don't use your landline this won't bother you but if you do use landline then you must use SH2 connected to ONT for DV to work

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Correct. If you want to use DV then you must use the SH2. I didn't care about DV so still have my phone plugged into the phone socket and have a far superior 3rd party system connected to the FTTP ONT.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

@Keith_Beddoe 

Lovely work, will be joining BT FTTP after moving from Sky FTTC and looking to still use the VR2100 and OneMesh system I have in place right now. This thread has made my day.

Message 7 of 10

@SkullTreaty Always good when you find the info you need 

Message 8 of 10

where did you get login details  for connection ?? I have to change mine... august firmware comes with throotling during day. Older firmware router runs at full speed all day long.  So I am looking to get change bt router with 3rd party which dosent update itself overnight. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

You can use a 3rd party router with the fibre ONT. I use an net gear orbi mesh system with mine. Just connect the router to the ONT. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

@martin30x the login details have been reported on the forum countless times and the briefest of searches would have revealed they are username bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password BT

0 Ratings