cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Adding a 2nd router

Go to solution

Hi. I currently have full fibre setup (direct to premises). I'm going to add a 2nd router for the loft. I've already had ethernet cable installed. My question is can I hook a 2nd router direct to the modem (I can see the Openreach modem has additional ports) or do I need to connect it from the BT Hub. Thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Adding a 2nd router

Go to solution

Connect to hub. Only 1 router connected to ONT

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

You need to either configure the second router as an access point and connect LAN port to LAN port or configure it as a router and connect LAN of primary router to WAN of secondary router. If the latter, you either need to configure the second router's WAN port to DHCP or give it a static IP address outside of the DHCP range of the primary router and set the gateway address to 192.168.1.254. Set the LAN range of the second router to the 192.168.2.xxx subnet.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Unless you already have a second router to re-purpose, it is unlikely that a second router is the best option for whatever it is you are hoping to achieve.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

I don't have a 2nd router yet. What would be the best device to add in this case. A wireless access point? Something from BT?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Yes, a wireless access point would be a better and cheaper option if you just wish to extend WiFi coverage. Have a look at TP Link devices https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/access-point/

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Wireless access point.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/access-point/tl-wa801n/

That is single band, which is ideal in most cases.

TP Link do a dual band version is you really must have 5GHz as well.

@licquorice  has the link to all the models.

0 Ratings