cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Am I being throttled?

Hello, 

I was just wondering if anyone else feels ripped off by BT because of the “guaranteed minimum speed”. I think this is a lie. I pay for 75 and yes, I got “68” at the router. But nothing else! Play Station, PC, phone, WiFi or not, I only get 20 constantly. Is this normal? 

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Am I being throttled?

BT and other ISPs guarantee the speed to your router/hub, that is the only element inside their control.

After that is inside your property, every house is different, wi-fi can be degraded by other electrical devices, your inside walls can also slow down wi-fi.

The best connection is to hardwire them, BT do offer wi-fi discs either through a monthly subscription called Complete Wi-Fi or you can purchase them and other wi-fi mesh systems from the EE Shop

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

I understand that but I have tried that. Wired, everything. And is really strange that is constant 20. All devises either WiFi or wired. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Which router are you using? Can you post the stats from the router? How are you measuring the speed you get to the various devices? Do you have anything else connected between the devices and router, for example powerline adapters?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

I’m running a TP Link Decco DSL modem/router. I got this one cause the BT one couldn’t handle our devices. I ran a wired speed test on my laptop, the one that the Play Station does when you set up a connection, and I have the ookla app on my phone. They all show 20 tops. Even when I turn off WiFi or everyone is offline at the house. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Which model exactly are you using, as there are several that meet your description?

Can you get the stats from your router, these should indicate raw speed, along with details about the line performance?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

It’s a TP Link AX5400 VDSL. This one doesn’t tell you the speed at the port. The BT one always read 68, more or less. The TP tells the current download being used and it hovers around 35. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

If the BT router gives 68 Mb/s but the TP one only gives 35 Mb/s then I would think the TP one is not working properly for some reason. Can you plug the BT router in for a while and check whether it still gives 68, if not then I would suspect some sort of line fault. Post the stats from the BT router if you can. If you still have a telephone on this line the try a quiet line test (best from a corded phone) it should be completely quiet, any crackling would indicate a line fault somewhere.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

When I got it back in November I was as getting like 58 on speed tests, with both. I changed it for better coverage. Now neither one of them registers that at any device. Only at the phone jack. I have no phone line, btw. Only fiber 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

I presume you are on FTTC rather than full fibre which is why I think the router stats could be so helpful. 

What do you mean by neither one of them registers that at any device only at the phone jack?

Can you try the BT speedtest as if that shows a lower throughput than you are guaranteed then it should be easy to log a fault with them (BT router required for the speedtest to log a fault I suspect as BT don't support 3rd party routers).

0 Ratings