cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

Ancient BT Master Socket

I've recently purchased a property built in the 1960s, and am in the process of getting it renovated. My electrician (previously worked as a telecoms engineer) has pointed out that my master socket and the wires inside are really old - it still says 'Post Office' on it (and so predates 1981) and the wires inside are really brittle. It's also attached to a window frame which I am shortly getting replaced.

Does anyone know how I would go about getting this upgraded to modern standards and moved to a more suitable location? 20230113_134441.jpg

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: Ancient BT Master Socket

are you a BT broadband customer or are you with another ISP?

you could always ask you electrician/telecom engineer if he can do work to openreach standard

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 17

@72Hickinwood 

Are you currently a BT Retail customer?

If not, and you intend to place an order with BT Retail, then they will arrange with Openreach to provide a new master socket at your chosen location, within reason.

The cost is normally included as part of a new installation.

Message 4 of 17

I'm not currently a customer, I wanted to make sure it was possible and that I wouldn't be expected to 'make do' with the current sockets and wiring before I placed my order. The slight complication is that I know the sockets and wiring work as the previous home owner had wifi - connected devices, but I want them upgrading to modern standards for obvious reasons.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

Have you checked if FTTP is available? That would take the master socket out of the equation & it can simply be removed. Use the address checker.

BT Broadband Checker

Message 6 of 17

@rbz5416FTTP not yet available at the location...

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

Any further suggestions?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

How is the wiring supplied, underground or from a pole? If the latter then OR may replace the drop wire to allow relocation, if you just order the new service.Equally you may get an insistence on keeping the same location. Like Forest's box of chocs, with OR you never know what you're gonna get!

No reason why any competent person can't move the wiring & fit a new master socket. That may require the wiring to be extended from outside, in which case you'll need a BT66b junction box & exterior grade cable.

Is there still a dial tone on the old socket? If so that could be used to prove the new one was working before booking..

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

If your electrician previously worked as a telecoms engineer, could he not do it?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

He could, but is conscious that OR / BT don’t like people messing with their equipment!

0 Ratings