cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 17

Re: Ancient BT Master Socket

I’ve rung and spoken to BT who have advised that the only way of getting it updated and moved is to sign up to a broadband contract with them… which makes sense from their side of things but it means they have me over a barrel really in terms of using another provider.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 17

if you try your local paper I am sure you will find a local telecom person who will move your socket for you.  I would doubt if openreach would replace dropwire if connection is not causing problems

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 17

I think you are possibly overthinking this , if all you want is a neat and tidy ‘installation’ ready for when you pick a provider, that can’t happen ( legitimately ) , Openreach who are responsible for the cabling upto the socket , they only work on line-plant that is ‘live’ , and being ‘paid for’ by a service provider , the only exception is ‘safety’ issues , like a wire hanging over a road , or a street cabinet with an open door .

You  say BT is  limiting your choice , no it isn’t , if you want it tidied up now , done by ordering service and making the lineplant ‘live’ again, then use whoever you want , ultimately whoever you chose , BT or someone else, they  will use Openreach to get the lineplant into a usable state.

Its not clear if the address is served from a telephone pole or underground, if there is an underground feed there may be a block on the exterior wall with a cable to the socket pictured, recovering the cable and socket   although technically Openreach, when you ordered service , the Openreach installation would simply renew this cable to a new socket possibly in a different location ( if that’s what you want ) 

If overhead from a pole there must be a point where the overhead cable is converted to the internal multi core cable , you could do the same , obviously both these mean you would definitely need an installer(Openreach) visit , when you eventually order service, but looking at the state of the socket , that will be needed anyway, even if you left it as it is now 

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 17

It's simple. If the incoming line whether underground or overhead terminates in an external box and then internal cable connects to the master socket, just disconnect the internal wiring and remove the current master. You can then either replace it yourself at your chosen location or place an order with a provider.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 17

But when I try to place an order with another supplier it says there is an existing line to the property (which is true), and so no engineer visit is necessary, and they'll just post the equipment out to me. Whereas when I place a dummy order on the BT website, it says that an engineer will visit the property. 

I am one half of a semi, the overhead line goes to my neighbours who have a little box on the front of their house, and then wires come out of this, across the front of my house and in to my master socket on my window sill. Sorry I'm not more technical!

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 17

@72Hickinwood 

I cannot comment on other suppliers, but if you use BT Retail, then you can request a visit, and have a master socket fitted in a suitable location, by Openreach.

The fact that a line exists, does not mean there is a master socket on the end.

If you are going to use a different provider, then I suggest that you post the question on their user forum.

Message 17 of 17

If the background systems think a ‘line’ already exists ( using historical data ) then often the ‘system’ assumes no visit will be necessary, but if the ‘line’ hadn’t been used for many months/years , it’s entirely possible that part or parts of its external network have already been taken for other provide orders or to repair other lines, in situations like this , after the line is brought back into service, ( a start order ) it’s tested , if the test result shows a fault ( like no socket detected ) an automatic ‘early life failure’ engineering visit should be built , failing that , once your ‘date’ has arrived, you can call and say the line isn’t working, and that should also prompt an engineer visit….the other  option is to order  in person , not not on-line , and explain there is no master socket at the address, so a ‘new line’ order is needed, not a ‘start’ order

As already stated  , if you don’t intend to use BT , but someone else , you really should be using that company’s  customer help services,