cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Assigning Static IP addresses for SONOS

I would like to put all my SONOS devices in a specific say 192.168.1.31 - .39 ... currently they are using DHCP ... I've set the DCHP range to omit allocating in this range . I can go on to MY Network and change the Ip address to what I want, I save the change and it says CHANGED ... However It does nothing, I've deleted the device , I've time expired the leased address and still it insists giving an arbitrary DHCPO address. I've no way of setting a static address on a SONOS device itself. I'd like to use the MAC address to force it , but the Smarthub doesn't let me do it. 

Is there a bug in the SMARTHUB handling of static addresses ? or am I doing something wrong. I hate it when something says it's done it , then in reality it hasn't  , if the Hub can't do it, then don't tell me it's changed !!!!!

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Assigning Static IP addresses for SONOS

@humeka 

Its quite simple, the home hubs cannot reserve IP addresses which are outside of the DHCP  scope. This applies to all routers. You also cannot specify which IP address is allocated by the home hub, but you can with many other routers DHCP settings.

You could disable DHCP on the home hub, and use a different DHCP server which does allow you to specify which IP matches a MAC address, many wireless access points have their own DHCP server which allow you to do just that.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Well , Why does a Homehub allow me to alter the IP address and to save it ??? If it can't do it ? Why doesn't it give me an error message ?

I've now got some of my SONOS kit say its got Static addresses on the Hub

SONOS static.png

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

That IP address is within the DHCP range and assigned automatically.. You said you wanted to use addresses outside of that range.

192.168.1.31 - .39

You could increase the DHCP scope if you wanted.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

I've got 192.168.1.64-192.168.1.200 assigned for DHCP

The other non DHCP assigned addresses I use for statics, where I can specify the IP address in the devices configuration. Unfortunately SONOS doesn't allow me to specify an address, that's why I wanted to be able to assign it from the router based on the MAC address. I'm assuming an allocated DHCP address set as "Always use this address" is Reserved as opposed to Static , although I suppose has a similar effect.

The reason I'm trying to do it , is because of a SMARTTHINGS change to EDGE drivers for SONOS and it's been suggested that assigned static addresses might fix the SMARTHINGS fault. I also use an EERO mesh Wifi network configured as a BRIDGE , so I'm expecting DHCP to be controlled by the Smarthub.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Reserved would be the correct definition, but the home hub prefers to call it static.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

I'm still a bit confused because I have some devices say : -

ADDRESS ASSIGNMENT ..DHCP

ALWAYS USE THIS ADDRESS YES

and others saying 

ADDRESS ASSIGNMENT...STATIC

ALWAYS USE THIS ADDRESS YES

So what is the difference ? and How did I achieve it ? When I can't specify the address as static on the device. 🙂

or is it something to do with the inability to support IP V6 on the device ?

On another thread I did read someone proposing turning off IPv6 ...maybe there's something in that ?

0 Ratings