cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Asus Zen WiFi AX - took the plunge

I've generally been happy with my set up, SH2 and 5 wholehome WiFi disks. Was on Full Fibre 100 Halo. Usual 150mb download which was very stable, always hit 140mb wireless and 140/ 150mb wired. 

Upgraded to Full Fibre 500. Was initially very disappointed as was only hitting a max of 250 with the wind behind it on WiFi. Now, I get all the variables on wireless speed but, was expecting in the region of 400 - 450 bearing in mind experience with the Fibre 100 package. The only thing that was giving anywhere near the full speed was ethernet into the back of the SH2. No surprises there.

Anyway, I wasn't having any of this and, after some research on here, decided to change my disks as it would seem they are the bottle neck of WiFi speed, after all, my phone was suggesting it was only an 866mbps network which is absolute pony.

Proof of the pudding is in the eating as they say. Phone now says 1.2Gbps network 😁  network speed varies a little but on average 350+ now on WiFi.

More settings than you can poke a stick at so maybe just settling down a bit but so far happy with the Asus gear. Very disappointed with BT thI've generally been happy with my set up, SH2 and 5 wholehome WiFi disks. Was on Full Fibre 100 Halo. Usual 150mb download which was very stable, always hit 140mb wireless and 140/ 150mb wired. 

Upgraded to Full Fibre 500. Was initially very disappointed as was only hitting a max of 250 with the wind behind it on WiFi. Now, I get all the variables on wireless speed but, was expecting in the region of 400 - 450 bearing in mind experience with the Fibre 100 package. The only thing that was giving anywhere near the full speed was ethernet into the back of the SH2. No surprises there.

Anyway, I wasn't having any of this and, after some research on here, decided to change my disks as it would seem they are the bottle neck of WiFi speed, after all, my phone was suggesting it was only an 866mbps network which is absolute pony.

Proof of the pudding is in the eating as they say. Phone now says 1.2Gbps network 😁  network speed varies a little but on average 350+ now on WiFi. Could and should be better but not on an ethernet backhaul.

More settings than you can poke a stick at so maybe just settling down a bit but so far happy with the Asus gear. Very disappointed with BT that I had to make the change for the WiFi speed to increase towards what it should be.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Asus Zen WiFi AX - took the plunge

Did you need to replace your HH2 with a modem as there doesn't seem to be a way to use the HH2 as a modem or bridge? Asus Zen AX requires a modem.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

With full fibre you only need a router, the ONT isthe modem.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

I am a FTTC customer waiting for FTTP. Don't have an ONT.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

You asked someone that has FTTP if they needed to provide a modem, it was therefore reasonable to assume that you also had FTTP

Message 6 of 6

Hi, no need to replace the SH2. You can either connect the Asus as a router to the SH2 or, as it should be, as an access point which is how mine is connected.

0 Ratings