cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

BT Compatible Router/Modem

Hi,

I’m looking to purchase a gaming router but want to be sure I select the correct one.

I wanted a gaming router/modem that is compatible with BT fibre optic broadband. 

any suggestions?

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: BT Compatible Router/Modem

Make and model is totally up to you, everyone has personal preferences. There is no special requirement for compatability but obvisously no need for one with an intergrated modem.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

Is that full fibre or FTTC?

If it is full fibre you just need a router as the ONT is a modem. If you have FTTC you need a VDSL modem/router.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

Hi it’s technically an FTTX connection but essentially it’s full fibre .

i don’t know whether i need a router and modem or just a router 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

Your previous posts have stated both VDSL & FTTP. No idea  what FTTX is other than a  typo?

If your router connects to an ONT by etthernet cable then any router with a WAN port that meets your other requirements will do.

If your router connects to master socket via the grey port on the router, then you need a router with an inbuilt VDSL modem or a separate VDSL modem.

But if you have GFast, which is speeds over 80Mb delivered by the master socket, then you need a modem router that supports that. They are quite rare.

You've also previously mentioned a WiFi disc. If that's a black Whole Home disc then be aware that will only work with the SH2.

Message 6 of 17

Thanks for the reply, it’s FTTP essentially however we have the full fibre 100 which is delivered through an Ethernet cable to the WAN port on my SH2. Is this the rare router/modem’s you were talking about ?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

I don't understand the "technically/essentially" references. It's either FTTP or it isn't. What does the ethernet cable connect to?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

@Hazza2107 from your other threads, I think you will be disappointed if you think that a 'gaming router' (whatever that is) will cure your lagging problems.

If you have an ONT (optical modem with LEDs labelled PON and LOS) then you only need a PPPoE capable router, not a modem/router. Virtually all third party routers have PPPoE capability.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

@Hazza2107 

Do you have Digital Voice or expecting to get it soon?

If you do or are expecting it then you MUST use the SH2 as the first point of connection.

Message 10 of 17

When I login the router IP it states an FTTX connection. I have an ONS box installed on the wall and the router is connected directly into this via an ethernet cable to the WAN port.  

0 Ratings