cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 17

Re: BT Compatible Router/Modem

Thanks for the reply, it’s connected to the ONT box as you’ve stated. 
I’ve been having issues for months and have been told on a number of occasions that this is due to streaming tv on an other devices and that the SH2 router doesn’t allocate the bandwidth correctly between my Xbox and another tv within the house at the same time hence why it constantly switches from normal gameplay to extremely laggy every 10 seconds or so. I thought a ‘gaming’ router would help in keeping a more consistent connection… 

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 17

No we currently have a home phone connected through a micro filter to the phone point. No plans to have digital voice.
I obviously don’t know that much about this topic, but I’ve literally tried everything else and am willing to purchase a different router to see if it helps. 
I just want to ensure I buy the correct product and then how I set it up, i.e do I plug the router into the SH2 or directly into the ONT via the Ethernet. 

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 17

If you want to keep a home phone service, then you will have no option to use BT Digital Voice in the future, and that means the Smart Hub 2.

See https://landlinesgo.digital/

The problem is that the TV is probably streaming video from an online source, and will consume as much download bandwidth and upload bandwidth as it wishes.

The 10 second "hit" would most likely be when it uploads a large block of data including performance statistics. That would cause your Xbox to delay sending your clicks etc.

Some routers do allow you to throttle or delay the upload of data from specific devices, but they can be very complex to set up. The BT home hubs do not have this ability.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 17

@rbz5416wrote:

Your previous posts have stated both VDSL & FTTP. No idea  what FTTX is other than a  typo?

Wiki helpfully provides, "FTTX is a generalization for several configurations of fibre deployment, arranged into two groups: FTTP/FTTH/FTTB (fibre laid all the way to the premises/home/building) and FTTC/N (fibre laid to the cabinet/node, with copper wires completing the connection). "

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 17

Thanks again for the info.

i don’t mind not having a home phone line and I’ve done a bit more reading and from what I can see, I can plug a 3rd party PPPoe router directly into the ONT via an Ethernet cable to the WAN port. 

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 17

Yes that's correct. Using a SH2 is only essential if you want a means of connecting to BT's digital voice since this is a BT proprietary system
0 Ratings
Message 17 of 17

@Hazza2107 

I am surprised that you still have an analogue phone line if you are on FTTP, as the copper connection is normally disconnected during FTTP installation.