cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 15

Re: BT DNS Servers Dropping my Website

Go to solution

Maybe it's on some BT DNS servers but not all. It certainly isn't working for me on the BT network this morning.

Is there somewhere I can email to get this resolved? 

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 15

Go to solution

Make sure you have web protect disabled to verify it isn't that rather than a DNS issue

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 15

Go to solution

Have you tried using NSLOOKUP ?

In windows create a comand prompt and type "nslookup" without the quotes - you should get a couple of lines of infomation and a ">" prompt. If you type silklink.co.uk you should get returned the ip address(es) for the website.

I notice that in the case of silklink.co.uk it is giving a private address (192.168.0.1) as well as the public address - that could be a setup problem with the DNS entry and cause problems if you use a 192.168.0.? subnet yourself.

By default nslookup will use the DNS server pointed to on your PC which is likely to be your BT router. If you want you can select another DNS server, I tried 8.8.8.8 (google's DNS server) but that returns the same as BTs DNS server but in the opposite order. I don't believe the problem is BT's DNS servers but rather the way our website address has been setup.

Message 14 of 15

Go to solution

Hey CountryPaul, thanks

I think you are on to something there. I tried with one of my other hosted sites and, yes, I only see the one public IP for that one, but get what looks to be the same subnet IP for silklink.co.uk using Google's DNS servers

I've gone back to the hosting service support with these details. Hopefully, they can sort it out.

Thanks for your help

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 15

Go to solution

Just an update.

I got my website host provider to remove the private IP address that was set up in my custom domain settings for some reason (must have been recent because I've been able to access it prior to a few weeks ago)

So thanks all for your contributions and help

0 Ratings