cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

BT DNS is missing entries

Go to solution

Hi all,

Yesterday I stopped being able to access sites hosted on my VPS server using my BT Business fibre connection.  If I switch to using my mobile hotspot, all works as expected, however I get a "SIte cannot be reached" message when accessing through my WiFi connection.

I have checked the Talos reputation and they have nothing lodged - which is how they have always been.

I thought I might try changing my DNS to 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 and see if it helped but in my smarthub admin panel / advanced settings there isn't a DNS section showing - despite the BT guide saying there should be.

I have reset my hub, cleared cache etc etc and no change - hotspot fine, wifi nothing.

Was working perfectly right up until last night.

the main site in question is:

lunatree.co.uk

If anyone has any ideas I'd be really grateful.

Cheers

Ian

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT DNS is missing entries

Go to solution

As an update...

I have done some digging, and it seems linked to my IP Address, which is 81.143.181.xxx.

If I connect over my mobile access point - I can connect no trouble, if i use a VPN (IP Vanish) again I connect no trouble, but if I go straight out and my fixed IP is teh one used, then I get the problem.

not sure if this helps.

Its all very strange.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

My limited understanding is that as a business customer you should have a business specific version of the router to allow DNS entries, so maybe you have the wrong one?

Having said that I can access your site using default BT retail DNS addresses, so maybe a red herring. Don't know if business accounts use the same DNS.But there's a dedicated Business forum & business enquiries are usually directed there.

https://business.forums.bt.com/

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution
Have you tried using nslookup on windows to see what it thinks the NDS entry is (or isn't)? Have you tried using tracert on windows to see the routers involved in getting to that node?
This might show an anomaly and allow you to find the cause (for example an spurious entry in a local hosts file)
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

I found the BT DNS to be a mess. I switched out my hub (residential) for a seperate Openreach MT992 modem & netgear router setup and set my DNS to Quad9 for tracking, adware and malware protection

If you found a way to change DNS on the hub then that should make a difference but otherwise you've hit the one of the hub limitiations that I did leading to a need to change equipment

0 Ratings