cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

BT Fibre 900

Hi so currently on the 5th day of having fibre 900 and so far over wifi I’ve been getting around 300 and a fair few drop to like the 50-70’s ik my phone is capable of getting up to atleast 800 as I know because my friend has virgin and I’ve tested it multiply time but my main head scratcher is previously I had SKY fibre 500 and that used to sit at a happy 400 on wifi even 450-500 on a good day with Ethernet on my extender and from what I’ve heard/ read fibre doesn’t need to settle so why am I getting very low speeds I did also last night plug my laptop directly into the router did another test and got 230 odd mbps max TIA

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Fibre 900

@THEGOLDMAN3131 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

This is just a customer to customer help forum, everyone here, including myself, are just customers.

The only BT Employees are the forum moderators.

Your speed will depend on how many other customers are sharing your backhaul link (32 customers sharing 2.5Gbs), as you do not have a exclusive connection. There is no settling in period.

You will only get the maximum speed available at the time, on an Ethernet connected device which has a 1GB network card, assuming that there are fewer active customers.

You are unlikely to get anything like the full speed over wireless, on a single device.

It was never intended that people get full speed on all devices, especially on a wireless connection. The intention is to allow that bandwidth to be shared among family members and multiple devices, without each user noticing any slowdown.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 6

What router are you using for your tests and are you wired or using wireless? I recommend you use fast.com to test your speed speedtest.net always comes up slower.

If you're using the BT Smart hub then you won't ever get 900Mbps down, while it's 'theoretically possible' but really unlikely. You need a Wi-Fi 6 or 6E device but even then unless you're sat next to the router you won't get the full speed.

EE are in the process of launching a Wifi 6 devices which will be much faster, we'll have to wait and see if that comes to BT as well, I think it's unlikely as they're planning to move all consumer customers over to the EE brand with BT being B2B only.

I've got the Linksys MX6202-KE mesh system, one of the cheaper 6E systems but still pricey.

Message 4 of 6

@Keith_Beddoe where is that "contention" in the terms and conditions, is it something that may have changed over time, because the Stay Fast Guarantee would seem to contradict this?

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

@Crimliar 

Its not necessary to include this in the T&Cs, as the Stay Fast Guarantee has already been calculated by BT based on the standard calculations used on all multiplexed data networks.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistical_time-division_multiplexing

If everyone had a dedicated connection, then each user would only get 78mb, so calculations are made based on the statistically average usage.

Its likely to be more complex with optical systems, so try looking up "Optical Time Division Multiplexing".

Message 6 of 6

However, things change over time.  I've had connections that have used contention.  But the T&Cs are at odds with what is being stated regards contention - is this still the case, or was it in the past and things have changed?  Really should be a FACT based answer rather than an opinion!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!