cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 21

BT Home Hub 3 Replacement- Again!

Go to solution

Hello there.

Sorry to bother you all again but shortly I am about to receive a BT Smart Hub (6) router/modem from ebay, opened but unused.
I propose to replace my ancient BT HH3 with the above and to this end and to enable the few peripherals I have on my network to access this new hub seamlessly, intend to go into the Hub's Manager home page and there split the two channels and name the 2.4GHz channel (my preferred one) with the same SSID as my old HH3 and also give it the same security keyword/password which, though the default one for HH3 is imbedded in my brain.

In this way i hope that I won't have any trouble in my devices, ie tablets, Roku TV streaming device and particularly my Wireless Epson printer to be able to continue without any possible tweaking.
Am I asking too much by doing what I have outlaid above? I hope you get the gist of what I am trying to explain.

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

Re: BT Home Hub 3 Replacement- Again!

Go to solution

Yes, that should be fine. My SSIDs & passwords are still based on the Asus router I had five years ago & have had two others since.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 21

Go to solution
Many thanks for that reply and moral support.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution

Yep, totally agree with @rbz5416 , sensible way to do it.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution

Thanks guys. Will seek out new SSID after new hub is turned on and then login with password and go from there on the hub's manager. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution

Prior to plugging the new hub in to the Internet, you can connect the hub to a PC or Laptop using an Ethernet cable and turn it on.

Log onto the management page and you can then make the changes to SSID and Password and save them.

After doing that power down the old hub and disconnect it. Replace it with the new hub and connect it up and power on. 

Everthing should now just connect.

Message 7 of 21

Go to solution

That's a good idea.

Forgive a novice but does that mean that the only connection, apart from the power line to the new hub then is the Ethernet connection to the laptop - I don't need to plug in the ADSL cable at that time? I think that is what you are saying. I then go into the Manager and make the necessary changes then 'Save' and power down and then power up again and find the 'new' SSID's as per usual and connect.

I assume without the ADSL cable plugged in the Hub's blue light won't appear though and assume that does not matter?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution

Correct on all points.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution

Once again, many thanks for your help here and others as well. This Community is certainly is a useful and rapid means of getting the answers to questions and to those of us without in depth knowledge.😁

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution

@HHGTTG wrote:

That's a good idea.

Forgive a novice but does that mean that the only connection, apart from the power line to the new hub then is the Ethernet connection to the laptop - I don't need to plug in the ADSL cable at that time? I think that is what you are saying. I then go into the Manager and make the necessary changes then 'Save' and power down and then power up again and find the 'new' SSID's as per usual and connect.

I assume without the ADSL cable plugged in the Hub's blue light won't appear though and assume that does not matter?

You make all the changes to the new hub while it is  "off line" . Your old hub can still be connected to the Internet until you are ready to swap them over.

You won't need to "find the new SSID as per usual and connect" because its SSID is now the same as the old hub and any device that was connected to the old hub will now automatically connect to the new hub totally oblivious that it is a different hub.

0 Ratings