cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

BT Smart Hub 2 Gateway I.P. Locked

Hi,

I'm trying to use my Smart Hub 2 as an access point as I have a better 3rd party router.

It seems that the gateway i.p. is locked on the hub. Despite being able to make changes and press save, every time it reverts back to the 192.168.1.254 default.

This is a problem as my main router is on 192.168.0 subnet.

I say its a problem but it works ok as the hub will just router traffic from its 192.168.1 subnet to 192.168.0 however this is needlessly complicated and seems very silly that you can make the gateway change (and it refuse to properly save). Has anyone else experience this behaviour?

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: BT Smart Hub 2 Gateway I.P. Locked

Did you disable the DHCP server on the SH2? if not I would expect validation (when you click save) to fail and the gateway address to remain unchanged

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 16

Yes, the DHCP server is disabled

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

Factory reset the SH2 and start again. The Gateway shouldn't be locked.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

I've factory reset multiple times. It seems to change as in redirects to the new i.p. but fails to load. It seems to reboot but restarts with the default.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

Try a 2 stage approach.

Disable DHCP and save the change and then change the gateway address and save.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

Hi,

I already took that approach. It saved and took the DHCP server off (and stuck off), but will not change from the default gateway address.

I even tried just changing the final octet, to see if it were restricted to 192.168.1 but still not such luck.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

I presume you are setting the IP and gateway of the connecting device to manual - at least until you have everything fully set up?

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

Silly question maybe but someone has to ask them so it might as well be me.

You're not duplicating the gateway address are you? both hubs need an exclusive address

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

Actually no!  It would be normal that if you are attempting to use an ISP router as a switch, you need to set the gateway to the (usually) one device that has a connection to the internet.  Otherwise, every device connected to the "switch" router is not going to see it's data hit the internet!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings