cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

BT Smart Hub 2 WiFi Settings

Go to solution

Hello,

We are considering moving to BT Broadband from another provider and would appreciate some information about BT Hub Manager please. The package is Fibre 2 which is fibre to the cabinet. BT supplies Smart Hub 2 with this package.

I understand that you cannot split the WiFi into 2.4 and 5GHz bands on this router, however we have a number of devices- battery security cameras etc, which will only connect to the 2.4MHz band. If they don't connect to the SSID as displayed, can the 5G network be disabled in Hub Manager temporarily and force the devices to connect to the 2.4MHz band, and then re-enable afterwards? 

The only BT article I can see about this is https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/fix-a-problem/broadband-and-wi-fi/i-want-to-improve-my-wi-fi/how-d... however this cannot be done on Smart Hub 2. There is no date for the BT article. Disabling 5G would be an option, however I'm not clear if this is available on the latest Smart Hub 2 routers and how this is done? 

I would be grateful for any advice. Thanks Jim.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Smart Hub 2 WiFi Settings

Go to solution

There are numerous posts about this on the forum

You just turn off 5ghz then connect your 2.4ghz devices and once connected re-enable the 5ghz wifi

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Yes, you can simply disable/enable both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz WiFi independently although you will probably find that you don't need to. Devices generally just connect, it is only rare devices that don't and that is usually because of trying to connect with a mobile directly in ad-hoc mode when it is connected to the hub at 5Ghz. Turning off the 5Ghz forces the mobile to use 2.4Ghz in order to connect to the device.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks very much for replying. Is there an option to turn off 2.4ghz and 5ghz individually in Hub Manager or is it just the option to turn off all wifi?

Thank you.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @Mitch3   See screenshot of the Wireless screen.

Screenshot 2023-09-21 171009.png

Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks very much for that. Very helpful. Is this a recent screenshot? Would BT have changed this option on a brand new Hub through Hub Manager updates, if that's what they do?

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

That is current, and extremely unlikely to ever change. As said previously, I doubt you will need to turn off 5Ghz in any case.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Thank you all for taking the time to reply to my very basic question.

Much appreciated,

Jim.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Actually, by far the easiest way to migrate is often to clone the old SSID/WPA2pass to the new router.  Most devices that use DHCP will then just work, and you need to work on the outlying few that don't!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings