cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 14

Re: BT smart Hub 2

Go to solution

Great to see the community solving another problem.

Thanks for getting back to us @draspden and thanks @supertedster for the post.

Cheers

David

Message 12 of 14

Go to solution

No problem David, glad to help!

I should clarify my advice for those with FTTP. You have to use more than one LAN port on the Smart Hub 2.

The Red Wan port should be connected to the ONT (where the fibre comes in) using the Red ended LAN cable.

Connect another LAN cable to your new Gigabit Switch, using one of the other ports on the Smart Hub 2.

Connect any other LAN devices to the switch and not the Smart Hub 2. It has enough work to do, poor thing!

I believe they overheat, if you tax them too much. I've attached a small fan to mine, powered from the USB port. It has greatly improved its performance.

Cheers
Ted
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 14

Go to solution

@supertedster 

I'm interested in your comment "using all the ports on the SH2 causes one, or more, to drop down to 10 mbit speeds!" and how a switch would help with this. Surely connecting multiple devices to a switch which is connected to a single port on the hub puts all data through a single port. You're suggesting that the remaining 3 ports are, to all intents, purposeless.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 14

Go to solution

Probably a little late to the party on this one but, the short answer is - switches switch whereas hubs split.  That is to say, a 1GB switch will switch 1GB to each port.  A hub will share 1GB across it's ports.  Hope that makes sense. 

0 Ratings