cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 27

Bad Gaming Experience FC24

Hi everyone I'm on Full Fibre 500.

I have a PS5 using a cat 8 ethernet cable, and my experience every single game is grim. 

My gameplay has input delay very slow it's just awful. Every single game feels different in a bad way I have to compensate when I play all the time even with a solid set up. 

I'm 99% if the time matched with players in Netherlands, Germany and France. Always a bad experience. 

I've been on with Playstation and they are looking in to it.

However played a guy today in United Kingdom I think local to me too as we where using the same club team, a horrible experience. I won but the gameplay was very slow plus visual lag on screen. 

I want to ask, is this something to do with the package I'm on? a router setting? a BT issue? everything else seems to be fine in my network connection. But I'm looking at maybe going with a different ISP if this can't be sorted. 

I currently have

- default firewall 

- Wired connection

- UPnP off and additional security off. 

-DMZ off

I've tried 100's of different combinations with these settings on and off and even default firewall off nothing helps. 

Thank you for any help. 

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27

Re: Bad Gaming Experience FC24

Hi mate,
I was having the same issue with Xbox series X, tried every setting under the sun. I upgraded my package and got new cables for hard wired connection nothing worked.

decided to get a cheap third party router and it’s completely fixed the issue! 
I went with the Tp- link archer ax1500, £45. This is compatible with full fibre and plugs directly into the ONT (providing you don’t want to use a land line).

This has allowed me to enable Qos and prioritise the bandwidth for the Xbox. It also helps that the router provides two SSIDs so the Xbox can be hard wired and utilise the 5ghz SSID.

hope that helps 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 27

Are you using a cable direct to router, or via powerline adapters? On a FF500 plan, you should not be having any issues. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 27

I have the exact same problem. I highly recommend getting a CAT 6 cable instead of your 8 as I read 8's can cause problems with the PS5. I switched from an 8 to a 6 and although I still get delay, there is a big improvement. I now at least get some playable games on EAFC24, whereas with the cat 8 cable, hardly any games were playable.

I've had this heavy delay problem for about 4 years so I feel your pain and hope things improve for you.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 27

Thanks @Hazza2107 . I have the same problems, almost every game of EAFC is slow with input delay and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Internet when tested by BT or Openreach. I can only get ISP's that use Openreach, can't get Virgin because of where I live. So I've been stuck with input delay for 4 years. Like yourself, I've tried everything.

So I'm going to take your advice and try a 3rd party router. Will try and get the Tp- link archer ax1500 too. 

Fingers crossed 🤞 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 27

If your PS5 is connected via ethernet directly to the router (No powerline adapters), and other devices in your home are not actively being used to upload/download large amount of data (such as phones using google photos or other people downloading games) then you are not going to see any improvement from a router using QoS, other than the improvement in your head. 

I'd strongly point to other players of EAFC claiming lag, when they don't have this issue with other games. This would suggest and issue with the EAFC servers, rather than your connection. 

Test for packet loss and high latency. If all good, its highly unlikely that your connection is at fault. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 27

Thanks very much for your reply(very quick too, so I'm grateful).

I've always used a lan cable direct to my router from PS5, I also starting turning off all devices connected to my WiFi and this makes the delay noticeably better although still very bad. I'm no expert by any means but the fact my delay is much better when I simply disconnect then from wifi(they're not even being used, just simply connected to the WiFi and it causes problems) would that suggest it's a bandwidth issue at my end? Or at least partly? 

I also get the delay on other games, not  just EAFC.(also efootball and multiple shooter games although not seemingly as bad as EAFC or Efootball.

My friends don't get the same delay, some live near me, some at the other end of the country. 

I'm not a hundred percent on how to test for Packet loss, I'll have a look at my speed test app now etc. 

I think latency is measured by ping? That is always fine and pretty low.

Really appreciate your help

Regards

@seabassbluesman

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 27

Actively playing online games uses less than 1mb/s - it's very unlikely to be a bandwidth issue. have a look at speed.cloudflare.com, it will run some tests for you, if the network quality score for online gaming is great or good, it's quite unlikely to be a issue with the connection from BT. 

Message 9 of 27

Yep, gaming is nearly always latency based, how much time does it take to send and receive a packet and FIFA and FC24 have always been latency dependent games. 

Its not clear but I'm pretty sure you can end up in P2P match ups, IE your connection will be at the mercy of the other player:

EA Server Status and FC 24 Servers Game Data Centers (fifauteam.com)

There isnt a UK Server and it doesnt state how and why you end up on P2P or Central Server, I think it depends on the game type, Online Friendlies probably P2P.

Isnt there something in match making settings about connection? Cant remember.

I play alot of FIFA and FC, unhealthy amount of hours online and even on my Virgin Cable connection where my latency wasnt wonderful I never had a bad experience on FC24, but then I have always been running my own router, since moving to BT ive maintained running my own router and my latency is even better now thanks to FTTP, but game play remains just as good. I have FTTP 900 and people can be doing all sorts around the house and it never effects my latency in game. The only thing that would is if someone hammers my upload bandwidth, thats the only thing I am mindful of.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 27

I've run tests using the site you gave me at 3 different times of day and it's come back as "poor" for gaming each time which is interesting. Although not sure there is anything I can do about it. BT won't take any notice if I tell them about these test results I'm sure.

It's also very strange that if I even connect one device like a phone to my WiFi whilst playing EAFC, my players instantly become even more like they're stuck in the mud and take an age to turn from my response with the analog stick. It can be any device that isn't even actively being used at the time. I'm not imagining it, the difference is night and day. So I always disconnect every single device when playing so only my PS5 is connected(via ethernet). 

I'm going to try a gaming router with ping stability and server features. 

Thanks for you advice with all my posts, I appreciate it. Hopefully the router will make a difference.

0 Ratings