cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Battery Back-Up for Router and Digital Voice

I currently have non FTTP broadband with digital voice.  Consequently, if there is a power cut I shall not be able to use the landline.

I have been looking at the CyberPower Battery Back-up as one way of overcoming this and I see they produce two versions of the back-up unit.  One is non-FTTP and the other is FTTP.

As I understand it, all of us will eventually have FTTP, so is there any merit in purchasing a non-FTTP unit which, presumably, will be useless once FTTP arrives? 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Battery Back-Up for Router and Digital Voice

@JoRo 

If the modem and home hub are located together, then a mains output backup unit (UPS), would be a better option, especially if you want to power a phone as well.

https://www.cyberpower.com/uk/en/product/sku/br700elcd-uk

or similar unit.

Or even  this one Amazon Basics Line-Interactive UPS-400VA with Shutdown Software and Surge Protection, UK Outlets . £100.

Cheaper and more flexible than the BT units.

I have one backing up a PC.

Message 3 of 5

Hi @JoRo   Or simply buy a universal one. I bought a Cyberpower BR1000ELCD-UK connected to a power strip so everything including my Hybrid Connect remains powered for a couple of hours.

Message 4 of 5

Thank you and VeteranISPUser for your reply and advice.

I agree using a UPS would probably be the better option, but as my router is located in the hallway and my computer and printer are in the lounge, they would be unable to benefit from the UPS.  It seems a rather expensive method of dealing with a possible power cut.  My internet access is not vital as I am retired and this is just an interest then I probably view it differently from someone whose job depends on continuity of access.

I am inclined to wait for FTTP to arrive at my flat (whenever that will be!) and then think again as to whether to use the FTTP version of the CyberPower box.

I do appreciate both of you taking the time to answer my query.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

@JoRo 

Those BT units are actually identical bar the cable for connecting either to a SH2 or the ONT. Seems they expect you to buy two units. So you could buy the non-FTTP one now & then add the other when you upgrade.

They would be more efficient than a regular UPS as they output the 12V DC both devices require, rather than converting up to 240V AC & then the AC adapters converting back down again.