cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Black Complete WiFi Discs

Hi

Before I had fibre installed, I used to have a cheapo mesh system to try and get better WiFi in the dark depths of other rooms. It worked fairly well..

I didn't bother using them with my fibre set up, but now I have things in order, I'd like to get a mesh system up and running again.

Question 1; Are the black ones that BT will give you (upgrading to Halo 3 complete WiFi) WiFi 6? Like the AX3700 version?

Question 2;  Do I need one of them plugged in to the SH2 like the AX3700? I'm sure I read somewhere that SH2 acts like a disc?

Question 3; I have read quite a lot about WiFi dropping out on the AX3700, and wondered if that was an issue on the black discs? Again, I did read that had been solved by turning off bandwidth steering?!

Many thanks!

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Black Complete WiFi Discs

@TinaT wrote:

Question 1; Are the black ones that BT will give you (upgrading to Halo 3 complete WiFi) WiFi 6? Like the AX3700 version?

No, they are only WiFi5

Question 2;  Do I need one of them plugged in to the SH2 like the AX3700?

No,  with the black discs, the hub forms part of the mesh hence they will only work with the BT hub unlike the white Whole Home discs which can be used with any router but need an Ethernet connection and don't mesh with the router.

Question 3; I have read quite a lot about WiFi dropping out on the AX3700, and wondered if that was an issue on the black discs? Again, I did read that had been solved by turning off bandwidth steering?!

WiFi is a black art rather than a science and dropouts could be due to any number of factors

Many thanks!

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the reply.

On the "My BT" page, it shows I can upgrade to "Halo 3 with Complete Wi-Fi" for £5 extra a month. £54.99 to £59.99

I was just speaking to an agent via the chat function, and they want to charge me £80.99 a month for the upgrade. 

That's another £21 on top of that..

No amount of explaining to the agent made him change his/her mind, he/she was adamant it would cost me £80.99 a month.

On that basis, NOPE! 😑

EDIT: After a lengthy discussion, he/she apologised and said he/she got it wrong. I made the order, and he/she said the 3 discs will be WiFi 6. Bonus!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

@TinaT wrote:

😑

EDIT: After a lengthy discussion, he/she apologised and said he/she got it wrong. I made the order, and he/she said the 3 discs will be WiFi 6. Bonus!

Good result, I didn't think the black discs were WiFi 6 as the hub definitely isn't and forms part of the mesh but I guess there's no reason why they couldn't be WiFi 6 and the hub WiFi 5

0 Ratings