cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Black disc

Hello all,

I have recently built a garden office quite a distance from my house.  I got my electrician to run a ethernet cable to it and he's done so, and put an ethernet socket inside the cabin.

Can I plug one of my black BT wifi extender discs into this socket (and the power obviously) and it will work?

Sorry, probably a bit of a dumb question, but i'm only used to using these discs on wifi.  But as my garden office is so far from my house i think it is going to need to be kept plugged in with the ethernet cable.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Black disc

Yes, it should work.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

I don't use these disc so I may well be wrong but I thought you only connected the BT Complete wifi disc via Ethernet in order to set it up then you disconnected the Ethernet to get the disc to re-transmit/boost the wireless signal from the Smarthub.

I don't think it is able to be used while still connected by Ethernet cable to the Smarthub.

You could buy a Wireless Access Point and plug that into your Ethernet in your office and this would give you a wireless signal in the office and most WAP's also have an Ethernet connection so that if you have a device that does not have wireless it can still be used.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Thanks.

Are there any affordable ones out there?  

I thought this sort of thing would be tens of £ not hundreds of £!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Are there any affordable ones out there?  

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/access-point/tl-wa901nd/

Under £30.

Or TP-Link TL-WA901N 450 Mbps Wireless N Access Point, Passive PoE Power Injector, 10/100M Ethernet Port

On Amazon  £19.99.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

All you need is a cheap wireless access point or even cheaper, just re-purpose an old router.

Depending on what sort of speeds you are looking for and whether dual or single band, a couple of devices to consider are the TP Link TL-WA901N at about £20 or the TL-WA1201  at about £40

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Hi @gg30340   Complete WiFi Discs work perfectly connected by Ethernet and are ideal for an extended network. Obviously you need a SH2. I have one of my Complete WiFi Discs connected by Ethernet. Job done and no messing about with multiple SSIDs. Extra discs are loaned free if you subscribe to Complete WiFi.