cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 34

Re: Broadband Speed Dropping on and off all day

@dksglen 

So previously you were on the 500Mb package presumably and when testing with wi-fi you would have got in the region of 400Mbs which is very good over wi-fi.

There have been many complaints about not getting full speed on the 900Mb package and the tests have always been on wi-fi and it has been consistently pointed out that 400-500Mbs over wi-fi is pretty damn good and if you're getting more than that then that's very good indeed. It's also been pointed out that the Stay Fast Guarantee only applies to ethernet connections.

The SmartHub 2 is not a wi-fi 6 device so you'll never likely to achieve the full 900Mbs but all your users will be sharing that 900Mbs between them so will get more than adequate bandwidth.

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 34

@Keith_Beddoe 

Gotcha. It's possible for me to connect the disk and Hub  via ethernet, using the built in wall connecting. That would be a better idea then? 

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 34

Yes, you should improve the backhaul link, and take the load off the home hub wireless. Its worth a try.

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 34

@TimCurtis 

Not the case. 

When I was on 500 my speed test were done exactly the same way and with the exact same device from the same location.  

The test were always around 525, well over the 500. 

Never over ethernet. Always WiFi. Pretty much next to the hub. 

Im aware the 900 is shared amongst the users in here. The point is that the stay fast guarantee isn't being met, by BT own app telling my that. 

And that the run more test option fails. 

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 34

@Keith_Beddoe 

Thanks. I'll do that shortly. 

I'm currently on live chat with BT tech 

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 34

Are you noticing any real world issues , or just the speed test indicating a download less than the minimum speed guarantee ? .
As explained, you are part of a network ( PON , passive optical network ) so the 2.4Gb bandwidth to the headend is shared between you and up to 29 others ,  most of the time , in the majority of settings this is more than ample bandwidth to satisfy everyone , if you are unlucky and happen to be on the same PON as a few intensive users ( constantly placing large demands on the available bandwidth ) then everyone could experience a slowdown , but even in these situations, getting 600Mb for the few seconds of a speed test instead of the guaranteed 700Mb ) would only be noticeable as a speed test it’s unlikely to present any noticeable issues.
Possibly counterintuitively ,  you and your neighbours constantly performing speed tests , exacerbates the ‘problem’ using bandwidth for no good reason .

As stated , in these circumstances, there isn’t a lot to be done ( assuming there isn’t some issue and it’s purely a congestion issue ) claiming the £20 , potentially 4 times in a year ( so effectively an £80 discount ) is the compensation for this situation.

If that isn’t good enough, unless a different network is available, and you have the option to leave Openreach FTTP , then short of asking your ‘neighbours’ to stop speed testing , or downloading huge files , there may not much that can be done.

TBH , the WiFi access issues have nothing really to do with congestion on the PON itself ( if the PON is actually congested ) , this is normally confirmed if the issues only appear at peak times , so  if  outside peak times , late evenings ( after 9pm ) or early mornings don’t ever show speeds below the minimum, it’s probably congestion…something to bear in mind , sometimes automated upgrades can be running in the background, so if ( for example ) Microsoft have an update , and several PON members are being delivered this , it could be a temporary problem 

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 34

@iniltous 

"Real world issues"

Nope, of course not. That's not at all what this whole post is about at all. I just wanted to understand the issues, and tbh wanted to get what I'm paying for. I've not got a much better understanding of what BT have done and what I should expect. 

As I said, im on (still) with BT live chat, over an hour and counting while they test and pass me around. 

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 34

Thanks for all the suggestions and help to everyone. 

I've been on chat and 3 different teams for nearly 2 hours. 

Now reverted back to my previous package and contract. 

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 34

If you have returned to 500 Mb , that doesn’t affect  the PON , if it’s suffering from congestion, the way dynamic bandwidth allocation works doesn’t mean only 900Mb profiles are reduced and lower speed profiles remain unaffected, if it’s congestion,  all users suffer proportionately the same amount of reduction , to illustrate ( using a ball park figures , as guesstimate ,the actual figure will be available somewhere) if your 900Mb ( 700Mb guarantee ) was occasionally getting 600Mb , the 500Mb profile would be guaranteeing 375Mb and with the same amount of congestion, probably achieving 310-350Mb , so proportionately the same level of reduction from the profile speed .

Message 30 of 34

Thanks again. As true as all that is, I've had a lot of issues on the 900 package that I simply didn't see on the 500. Every speedtest on the lower package has always come in at over the suggested maximum. 

No point in paying extra, and recontracting for 2 years with that service. 

Options open next year to change now also, rather than end of 2025 

0 Ratings