cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Cabinet full

Hi so basically I’ve been trying to get Wi-Fi as I’ve moved into a new house the house was 1 big one originally and it’s not been put into house A and house B my next door neighbour can get full fibre Wi-Fi speeds of 70mbps when I got to get Wi-Fi all I’m offered it 5-10mbps.

I’ve spoken to a few providers and they said that we’re not connected to the green cabinet and maybe we don’t have the wiring under our house for it but surely it’s not fair that everyone on my street as normal fast speed Wi-Fi and it’s just my house that can’t get it. How do I get someone to come out and have a look if we’re connected to the cabinet or not?  It’s absolutely ridiculous that it’s only me who can’t get it. Please someone tell me what I can do!!

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Cabinet full

Full Fibre is usually 100Mb+, so more likely FTTC. Although lower speeds can be provided over FF. Put your phone number in here & it will tell you if FTTC is available.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If FTTC is shown check the right hand column to see if it says available or waiting list.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

If the FTTC cabinet is full , until a port becomes available ,  ADSL is what’s available 

What does you address show in the checker ?

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If it shows waiting list , that’s the problem, otherwise it may be the address itself.

If the property has been divided into two properties, has it all been done ‘officially’ , so it has its own entrance and letter box, is liable for it’s own council tax and utilities, and is correctly recorded as a separate address with the Royal Mail ?

Is it BT you are wanting to use for broadband ?  ( WiFi is just the method you apparently will be using to connect to broadband ) , if it’s not BT , then BT are not the company to enquire with , but whatever ISP you do want to use , you need to contact them.

Assuming it is BT you are going to use , the  issue is probably an addressing issue within Openreach not BT ,  but to get an enquiry raised to correct the Openreach data for the address , you need to be a customer of an ISP first, without being a customer, no ISP is going to deal with your problem , why should they if you are not a customer .

Probably the best way to proceed is to order ‘slow’ ADSL ( exchange based broadband ) , once you are a customer, ask your ISP to raise an ‘ORDI’ ,  Openreach data integrity check , to get the address data checked and any errors corrected , once this is done ,you should be able to upgrade to FTTC , fibre to the cabinet broadband.

You may object to having to do this two stage order to get faster broadband when others don’t , but the alternative is to try and get Openreach ( not BT ) to correct the address data before you order with anyone , and generally Openreach only speak to providers, not consumers.

On a more practical note , if your house was part of a larger property and has an underground feed ( so not served overhead by telegraph poles ) , and the property only had one underground cable and the other ‘half’ of the property is using that because it enters the property on their ‘half’ , and whoever divided the single property into two , never made any provision for the other half ( potentially your half )  by contacting Openreach at the time, then getting any service may be problematic 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Yes it’s got everything likes it own letter box etc but I just don’t know who to contact to ask them to come and check the cabinet and see if we’re actually connected because surely if we’re not connected they have to connect us don’t they? 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

It says waiting list but who do I contact to ask why we’re not connected to the box? 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

I’ve edited my original reply , can you post the checker return for your address.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Waiting list means just that , anyone wanting FTTC will have to wait , as currently there are no available ‘positions’ in the cabinet to connect you to, this status changes as and when people connect and disconnect from the cabinet for various reasons, moving out, changing to alternative networks, using mobile only etc. , so if someone moves out and disconnects, then a port becomes ‘spare’ , and waiting list message is replaced with ‘available’ and an ISP can raise an order .
You , and the ISP you want to use cannot do anything about this , you have no right to insist Openreach increase capacity at the cabinet, they may do so anyway , but that’s a commercial decision for them.

All you can do really , is keep checking , it’s always possible that it shows ‘waiting list’ today , but ‘available’  tomorrow, if the status changes , get an order in quick , as other people may be in the same situation and they may get an order in before you.

If it’s waiting list , Openreach don’t need to visit you or the cabinet , if it’s available, you order and Openreach deal with any problems they may encounter with your address at that time , not in advance 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

And just to head off the usual next question, no there isn't an actual list that you can join. As @iniltous said, it's just a case of constantly checking, so hopefully you can grab the next available port. There's also no way of knowing how many others you're competing against.