cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Can I force a device to use the 5ghz band on a Smart Hub 2?

Hello, new joiner here, I've looked for the answer but haven't been able to find it...

The wifi performance on my Smart Hub 2 has deteriorated over time, such that I have moved wifi extenders closer to the SH2 to make them work. I phoned BT and the recommendation was to factory reset the hub and to forget/reconnect each device. That seems to have helped but, what I now realise is that the problem I actually have is that sometimes the same device will connect to the 2.4ghz band and another time it will connect to the 5ghz band. 

So, my question is this. Is there any way to always make the same dual band device always connect to the 5ghz band on a Smart Hub 2. Thanks! 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Can I force a device to use the 5ghz band on a Smart Hub 2?

Other than turning off one or other of the bands, no. It is the device which chooses which band, not the hub and both bands have the same SSID.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

You can -- sort of.

Switch the 5GHz off on the SH2 and connect a dual band wifi extender via cable to the SH2 and set it up for A.P. mode. Switch the 2.4GHz off on the extender, give it a different SSID to that of the SH2 and connect your device(s) to that.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Ok, thanks. That sounds like a good work around, but it's a shame you can't just set up separate SSIDs in the Admin screen on the Smart Hub2. Would have been so much simpler!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

It seems to be one of those bright ideas borne out of good intentions which is in fact a complete pain in the neck (or perhaps some way lower down on the anatomy)

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

I too am annoyed at being unable to split the radio but I found a way to force your PC/Laptop to use the 5GHz. You'll have to check if you have this setting. If you go to device manager > locate your wireless card under network adapters > propeties/settings > Under advanced > for me I have "wireless mode" on my TP-Link Wireless USB but you're looking for a setting that has IEEE 802.11 a/n/c b/g/n. 5ghz is IEEE 802.11 ac. So if you select that setting, it should force your card to only connect to the 5Ghz. 

0 Ratings