cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Can I set up wired internet through any Phone Socket in my house?

Hello, 

I have the BT Home hub halo 3 set up and running nicely on the ground floor of the house.   In my home office today (upstairs), while moving furniture I noticed I had a phone socket in the wall.  Is it possible for me to connect devices through an ethernet line directly into the wall?  

Would this require a router, a second hub, or do I need to run a wired connection all the way through my house?

If I do required picking up some more hardware, does anyone have any recommendations?  

Thanks in advance, 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Can I set up wired internet through any Phone Socket in my house?

You cannot connect a 2nd hub, why not move your existing hub to this socket? 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

As @Devon_Dave  has said you could move your router.  To connect a device solely via Ethernet you would need an Ethernet cable from router to device.

do you have Wi-Fi discs as part of Halo 3? Are they not working satisfactorily?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

No, you can't use a phone socket for ethernet. Cheapest option would be a pair of powerline adapters that provide a connection through the mains wiring. Just be aware that the published speeds are largely works of fiction & you will not get anywhere near them.

0 Ratings