cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Can I use Synology MR2200 MESH WITH SMART Hub 2 (FTTC)

Go to solution

Evening all,

Can anyone tell me if my MR2200 Mesh (3 units) left over from my last ISP (RT2600 router in temporary storage) will work with my Smart Hub 2 on FTTC? I really don't want to have to buy a set of BT Discs. I have seen many posts discussing other manufacturers' Mesh systems, but nothing about Synology.

If they won't work together, will my RT2600 run in place of the Smart hub 2?

Thanks in advance for all advice received.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Can I use Synology MR2200 MESH WITH SMART Hub 2 (FTTC)

Go to solution

Make of devices is irrelevant really for interworking. It is what ports the device(s) has and how you want to interface with the hub.

You might want to consider ditching the hub and getting an Huawei HG612 modem from Ebay and use your RT2600 in conjunction with that.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks @licquorice,

Your reply has thrown me... I was under the impression that my RT2600 and Smarthub 2 on FTTC (I'm on BT Fibre 1 50/10) are interchangeable. Please elaborate, as I'm not usually this easily confused.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

The RT2600 is just a router as far as I'm aware, you thus need a modem. The BT hub is a combined modem/router.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Hi, and thanks, @licquorice

You're absolutely right (my RT2600 is "just" a router).

Prepare for a possibly ultra-dumb question...

To keep expenses down, satisfy BT that I have a BT Router, and use my Synology Mesh units for WiFi, can I turn OFF the BT WiFi, connect my RT2600 by ethernet, and run the (MR2200) mesh from there?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Yes, you can do that, but there is no need to satisfy BT that you have a BT router. BT don't care what router you use.

An HG 612 modem can be obtained cheaply on eBay. No need to pay extra to buy an unlocked one.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution
My fear of fronting my home network - probably irrational - was based on when things go screwy, and BT Help is requested, and, like my last ISP (Microwave bearer system), when I replaced my old TP-Link 300n router with the RT6200, they didn't want to know initially blaming everything on the router and its setup.
I've got the picture now, so I'll follow your advice. Thanks very much and have a good weekend.
Skumba
0 Ratings