cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 53

Cannot connect to Netgear Wifi Router

Go to solution

Hi, hope someone can help. I am trying to connect the Netgear Nighhawk Wifi Router to replace the BT hub. After connected to the BT modem, I can see the wifi showing NetgearXX, then I have input the password for this new wifi router. It still saying ''no internet''. 

I have called both BT and Netgear. BT said it is Netgear's issue, and Netgear said it is BT's issue. 

Anyone can help? Thank you. 

0 Ratings
52 REPLIES 52
Message 2 of 53

Re: Cannot connect to Netgear Wifi Router

Go to solution

I would suggest you haven’t set up your Netgear router correctly with the BT long in credentials , it’s not plug and play like the BT supplied router , it needs setting up so you can connect ,  the router isn’t connecting to the internet, hence the message.

Netgear are almost certainly not telling you the truth it’s not BT , no doubt you can easily prove this by reconnecting your BT router …..the instructions that came with the Netgear should show what settings you need to input into the setup menu etc to get the Netgear to ‘log in’ correctly, plenty of posts on this forum provide the BT credentials you need

Message 3 of 53

Go to solution

Thank you for your help.

I have tried many times but still cannot get it right myself, and I have read all the previous posts also. 

You are correct, bot BT problem as once I have plugged the current BT router in, the wifi works again. 

Netgear asked me to connect to routerlogin.net and the 192.168.10.1, tried both when I have plugged in the Netgear router, but couldn't get to both pages or the correct page. So the problem is I cannot even go to the setup page.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 53

Go to solution

What is the model number of the Netgear & is it new or used? If the latter it probably needs a factory reset.

What "modem" are you connecting to & how?

Message 5 of 53

Go to solution

What BT modem?  The basic setup should be as simple as an ethernet cable from the Netgear router to a LAN port on the modem.  Then set the PPPoE username to bthomehub@btbroadband.com with the password BT.

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
Message 6 of 53

Go to solution

Thank you. 

It is a new Netgear Nighthawk Pro Gaming 6-Stream Wifi 6 Router (XR1000). 

The modem is the originally home modem from BT. The one that was installed on the wall - the white Openreach modem box. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 53

Go to solution

For this setup, where can I do this? Do I need to go into any websites for this setup?
Or do I need to the hub manager? 
I tried the BT hub manager but it needs the admin password and I don't think I have. 
Thank you.

Set-up:
The basic setup should be as simple as an ethernet cable from the Netgear router to a 
LAN port on the modem.  Then set the PPPoE username to bthomehub@btbroadband.com with the password BT.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 53

Go to solution

does your openreach modem look like this

ont-pon.jpg

if so you need to connect the ethernet cable from the openreach ONT to the WAN not lan port on the Netgear

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 9 of 53

Go to solution

I read this as you were removing the BT Hub from the system and replacing it with the Netgear router.  If that's the case you can access the web admin pages of the router using www.routerlogin.net or either 192.168.1.0 or 192.168.1.1
The router should then take you through a quick setup guide.  The one thing to keep an eye on, is that you'll have to set up WEB UI un/pass (your choice) in addition to the connection un/pass that was already mentioned.
*It may be easier in the first instance to set the router up using the Netgear app, but there's much more to play with in the WEB UI

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
Message 10 of 53

Go to solution

As above, the preferred setup is via the app, so I suggest you follow that process.

Also note that the login page is 192.168.1.1 & not 192.168.10.1 as you suggested, unless you've changed that?

I'd suggest a factory reset & then install via the app.