cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 16

Re: Change phone point to ethernet

Thank you. Hoping to just achieve one socket in hall for broadband. 

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 16

Reference to fibre was that BT have informed me that to upgrade my broadband (I.e. renew my contract) I’ll need to have ‘fibre’ installed in the house as copper communications is not longer being supported and phased out. So I was looking to move my master closer to the outside incoming to avoid having external cables running all around the house (as lounge is on middle floor). 

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 16

Right, in which case I suggest you investigate if the incoming wires are indeed the wires that appear to be crimped to the green pair in your photo of the hall socket. If that is indeed the incoming pair, simply move the master socket to the hall and connect the incoming pair to the line terminals at the rear of the socket. Leave all other wires disconnected.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 16

I posted my previous reply before I saw your post about fibre.

@If you are getting full fibre to you house, the existing wiring and sockets are irrelevant as they won't be used as@rbz5416 said. The fibre will be terminated on an optical modem (ONT) and the ONT connected to your hub with a short Ethernet patch cable. The location of the ONT can be negotiated with the installer

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 16

Thanks for you reply and patience, much appreciated.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 16

noted thanks, I just wanted to see what WI-FI was like in this location before installation so your previous advice was most helpful.