cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 21

Changing router (yet again)

Go to solution

I am trying to replace my SH2. I have set the username to bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password to BT, as posted on multiple threads. (Interestingly the SH2 lists the password as 'not required')

But the new router does not connect. It tries and I see various handshaking taking place. I've used all the obvious stuff, PPPOE etc. etc. Is there something unusual that BT use?

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

Re: Changing router (yet again)

Go to solution

Perhaps your router is incompatible with your broadband service?

What type of broadband connection do you have, and what speed are you supposed to get?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 21

Go to solution

Sorry that should be PPPOA before anybody jumps on it.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution

You haven't told us what service you have, what router you're trying to configure or how it's connected. If you answer all three then maybe someone can help.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution

Service is VDSL (fibre to box, not home)

I expect about 55 MBs

Router is a Draytek Vigor 2850

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution

Guess we'll have to make do with two out of three.

The configuration s PPPoE not PPPoA.

Password isn't required on the BT Hubs but is provided because some third party routers won't allow a blank entry.

I'm assuming that as this router is apparently over 10 years old, that it's used. Are you using the VDSL cable that came with it or the one from the SH2? If the latter, swap it over. Also factory reset the router.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution

Thanks, PPPOE it is.

The router does accept a null password, but warns me. Fair enough. I got the password as BT from here, Draytek FAQs seem to think it should be password. Does BT quietly ignore the password?

I appreciate the Draytek is old, but it is a VDSL router and should be able to handle this.

As for cabling, I am pulling the connection from the SH2 (which works) and putting it into the Draytek.

Sorry for delays, obviously I have to wait for the SH2 to sort itself out again before I can read further posts.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution

@ShedDriverwrote:

As for cabling, I am pulling the connection from the SH2 (which works) and putting it into the Draytek.

Then as I said, try the one that came with the Draytek. They are not necessarily interchangeable.

Google suggest you may also need to set a VLAN tag of 101:

You'll find the VLAN setting on WAN\General Setup\WAN1: set VLAN Tag insertion (VDSL) to 'enable' and enter a Tag Value of 101.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution

Use the one that came with the Draytek, the pin assignments are probably different.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution

VLAN made no difference, I tried with priority 0 and 1

Using a Draytek cable could be a problem, I have no idea where the original is. As you know the SH2 has a RG45 sort of socket, with 4 pins, only the centre pair connected - as has been used on phones for years (at least since the demise of the ring line from the master socket). However the Draytek is aware that it is connected to a signal of some sort, as it goes into a handshaking mode.

I'll try with a different router, but that may be a few days, and let you know.

0 Ratings