cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 21

Re: Changing router (yet again)

Go to solution

“As for cabling, I am pulling the connection from the SH2 (which works) and putting it into the Draytek”.

I have a 2762 configured this way:

The SH2 needs to be directly connected to the master socket for digital voice.

Smart Hub 2 (SH2) router settings:

DHCP off.  (The addresses here are best set as static addresses).

Router itself set to a static IP of 192.168.1.254, (the default).

Subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 or /24, (also the default).

DMZ host set to 192.168.1.2  (This helps with double NAT problems or at least it takes care of the port forwarding on the SH2.  There is still address translation happening, however, so you may still have problems with multiplayer games, UPnP etc.  In fact, you only really need this if you have incoming external connections to a server etc.  Personally, I’ve never found double NAT to be an issue and I don’t use the DMZ host setting.  Note, if you do use it, this setting allows a lot of traffic to effectively bypass the SH2 firewall, so you are relying on your own router’s firewall for security, just as if it was directly connected to the internet).

Turn off both Wi-Fi bands in favour of your own router.  (This may also be a good security move if you do enable the DMZ host.  I would still expect Wi-Fi traffic on the SH2 to go through its firewall but I can’t be sure how they’ve set it up internally).

Connect the DSL port to the phone socket on the wall.

DV phone/extension then plugs into the phone socket on the Smart Hub 2.

Draytek settings:

DHCP on, range 192.168.0.2-192.168.0.200  (Note the 0 in the third position, making this a separate network to the SH2.  This is deliberate, not a typo).

Router itself is on a static IP of 192.168.0.1

Subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 or /24

Enable the EWAN port and set it to a fixed IP of 192.168.1.2, (so it is part of the SH2 network).

Gateway set to 192.168.1.254, (again, pointing to the SH2).

DNS set to 192.168.1.254 (or whatever you usually use).

The EWAN socket on your own router (probably 4) connects to a LAN port on the SH2.  (NB. This will not work if you use the DSL port on your own router).

(If you want IPv6 the easiest way is to set the SH2 to DHCP Stateless and make the Draytek a DHCPv6 client then bridge across to LAN1 with the firewall on).

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 21

Go to solution

An older router is unlikely to perform any better than the Smart Hub 2.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 21

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe 

True.  Any connection is only ever going to be as fast as the slowest link.

In my case the SH2 is only there for the DV.  The Draytek is what controls access to and manages my network.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 21

Go to solution

Hi WSH, I think from your description you are using a Draytek as a firewall only, I was hoping to use it to connect directly.

I don't expect to get a performance increase, what I am really after is a far more comprehensive flexible routing. In fact I would be happy with a dial-up rate as long as it was on 100% of the time, unlike BT which drops out at the most inconvenient times. I am hoping to tack on a 4G router to solve that problem. Most Draytek routers (even the prehistoric ones!) have an ethernet WAN input in addition to the VDSL.

I miss the days when the first email from an ISP was a list of connection settings

As I said, I will post when I get some closure on this, but it may be a few days.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 21

Go to solution

To clarify, you are wanting to connect your own 3rd party router directly to the master socket right?

This generally is preferable so you arent double NAT'ing....but in alot of case folks are leaving the ISP router in the mix.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT Full Fibre 900 (Big Sport UHD) - Nokia ONT - Ubiquity ER-X - EETV Box Pro (IP Mode)
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 21

Go to solution

No, the Draytek does the routing for my network but the incoming connection comes via the SH2, so it can do DV.

You stated “As for cabling, I am pulling the connection from the SH2 (which works) and putting it into the Draytek”.  I assumed that meant you were passing traffic from the SH2 to the Draytek.  If you are using the Draytek in place of the SH2 then none of what I said is relevant.

It's been a while since I've used the Draytek directly but my notes suggest:

VDSL2, Service VLAN tag 101, Priority 0
Username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
Password anything
PPP Detect
Authentication: PAP/CHAP/MSCHAPv2
IPv6: PPP

Draytek's own knowledgebase is very helpful on BT set ups.  I suggest you look there if you are still having problems.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 21

Go to solution
Yes Naylor, exactly. An even more extreme solution would be to use a bridge, like a Draytek 130, and have an even more under control box to do the VDSL authorization stuff.
WSH, it seems like I have these settings, further fault finding is required.
0 Ratings
Message 18 of 21

Go to solution

Fair enough.  I can't find the 2850 but you might find this useful anyway:

https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/vigor-2860-vdsl-setup

I'm off out, so I'll leave you to it.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 21

Go to solution

On my ER-X I can look at the PPPOE logs in the CLI, does the Draytek have an terminal you can SSH into?

Its possible on my router to see the CHAP PPPOE handshake take place or view any errors should they arise. Loooooooads of people use these Draytek models to connect directly to the socket or ONT if its FTTP so you shouldnt be having any wild issues. For example here are my successful logs

show interfaces pppoe pppoe0 log Mon Mar 25 15:43:58 GMT 2024: 
PPP interface pppoe0 created Mon Mar 25 15:44:01 GMT 2024: Stopping PPP daemon for pppoe0 Mon Mar 25 15:44:02 GMT 2024: Starting PPP daemon for pppoe0 Connected to REMOVED via interface eth0 using channel 1 Renamed interface ppp0 to pppoe0 Using interface pppoe0 Connect: pppoe0 <--> eth0 sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <mru 1492> <magic REMOVED>] rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0xe0 <mru 1492> <auth chap MD5> <magic REMOVED>] sent [LCP ConfAck id=0xe0 <mru 1492> <auth chap MD5> <magic REMOVED>] rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 <mru 1492> <magic REMOVED>] sent [LCP EchoReq id=0x0 magic=REMOVED] rcvd [CHAP Challenge id=0x1 <REMOVED>, name = "acc-aln2.agz"] sent [CHAP Response id=0x1 <REMOVED>, name = "bthomehub@btbroadband.com"] rcvd [LCP EchoRep id=0x0 magic=REMOVED] rcvd [CHAP Success id=0x1 "CHAP authentication success"] CHAP authentication succeeded: CHAP authentication success CHAP authentication succeeded peer from calling number AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF authorized sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 <addr 0.0.0.0> <ms-dns1 0.0.0.0> <ms-dns2 0.0.0.0>] rcvd [IPV6CP ConfReq id=0x4f <addr REMOVED>] Unsupported protocol 'IPv6 Control Protocol' (0x8057) received sent [LCP ProtRej id=0x2 REMOVED] rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x67 <addr 172.16.15.197>] sent [IPCP ConfAck id=0x67 <addr 172.16.15.197>] rcvd [IPCP ConfNak id=0x1 <addr REMOVED> <ms-dns1 REMOVED> <ms-dns2 REMOVED>] sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 <addr REMOVED> <ms-dns1 REMOVED> <ms-dns2 REMOVED>] rcvd [IPV6CP TermReq id=0x50] Unsupported protocol 'IPv6 Control Protocol' (0x8057) received sent [LCP ProtRej id=0x3 REMOVED] rcvd [IPCP ConfAck id=0x2 <addr REMOVED> <ms-dns1 REMOVED> <ms-dns2 REMOVED>] Script /etc/ppp/ip-pre-up started (pid 2785) Script /etc/ppp/ip-pre-up finished (pid 2785), status = 0x0 local IP address REMOVED remote IP address 172.16.15.197 primary DNS address REMOVED secondary DNS address REMOVED Script /etc/ppp/ip-up started (pid 2850) rcvd [IPV6CP TermReq id=0x51] Unsupported protocol 'IPv6 Control Protocol' (0x8057) received sent [LCP ProtRej id=0x4 REMOVED] Script /etc/ppp/ip-up finished (pid 2850), status = 0x0

Im rushing a little bit so I just REMOVED anything which I thought I should.....but my point is hopefully you can get at a verbose output somewhere and establish some sort of issue because there is quite a bit going on.

Maybe if you have a config you are attached to back it up, factory reset the router and just go through the PPPOE wizard or initial setup if there is one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT Full Fibre 900 (Big Sport UHD) - Nokia ONT - Ubiquity ER-X - EETV Box Pro (IP Mode)
0 Ratings
Message 20 of 21

Go to solution

@ShedDriverwrote:

However the Draytek is aware that it is connected to a signal of some sort, as it goes into a handshaking mode.

Have you tried with the cable removed to see if it behave differently? If it does then unlikely to be the cable, but it also might be too dumb & try to connect regardless.

0 Ratings