cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Computer stalling internet.

My computer is in contact with my router (BTHub6) by wifi.

My Sky box is hard wired. When my computer has been asleep for a while I can stream shows on Netflix and Prime with no problem. When I wake up my computer the Sky box says: “It looks like you don’t have internet connection right now."

The internet on the computer is very slow. It times out before I can use banking sites.

Steve

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Computer stalling internet.

Have you set duplicate static IP addresses on each device or set a static IP address on one device which is already reserved by DHCP for the other?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

I don’t know. I am not aware of setting anything. Is there a way I could check?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

If you don't know how to do it then you probably haven't, it's not the sort of thing you do in error.

Try each device one at a time whilst the other is  powered down to see if it happens both ways

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

I’m not sure which devices you mean. When my computer has been switched off or asleep for twenty minutes or so, my internet to other devices such as the Sky box (Hard wired) and to the TV, mobile, games consoles (all by wifi) works properly. When I start or wake up my PC the internet is slowed to a crawl.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

Is the PC trying to download a large update?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

Not that I know of. This has been happening for the last three months; though there was the odd occasion when the internet would work properly with the PC on.
Before that my internet would slow for a couple of days when I restarted my computer, but after that would work properly. Waking it up did not affect the internet back then.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

I'm talking about your PC and the Sky box.

It's unlikely that the hub is causing the problem so it must be something to do with the devices you have connected to it

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

I’m pretty sure the problem is with my computer. I just wondered if there was a quick fix. A BT engineer visited in April 2021 and tried several things. He even replaced the router, but it did no good.
A BT engineer visited today and ended up suggesting I replace my computer.
Thanks for answering my question.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

If your computer has an Ethernet port try disabling WiFi on it and using a hardwired Ethernet link for a while.  That should confirm that the problem is unrelated to WiFi, it will also most likely get you a different ip address so any ip address conflict can be discounted. 

Have you looked at task manager on your PC to see what network load it shows? If it shows a high network load it is probably trying to download (or possibly upload) a large amount of data - something you might want to look into in that case.

Can you try your PC at someone else house (obviously much easier with a laptop) and see whether it has an adverse effect there?

0 Ratings